SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Dare I say I don't want it?

13 years ago

Hi all!

I love all the kitchens I get to see here. They help me dream. I no longer have the luxury of just "having something done" but rather must save, save, save & shop, shop, shop. I often trade labor for beer, yoga lessons, power tools of which I have duplicate & triplicates, etc.

In my dreams, though, I have no room for stainless steel or granite. I do dream of soapstone or slate, but have no appliance dreams. I worked in restaurants for wayyy too many years to want to deal with those awful fingerprints. Don't go and tell me they're now fingerprint proof; I just don't care.

I don't care for granite. I love it in other people's kitchens, with some of the beautiful swirls. I just don't like specks.

It seems to me that if you're not putting steel or stone in your kitchen these days, some noses point up & refer to "high end" or not. I wonder what happened to functionality & comfort? It's given lip service in the magazines, whereas here it seems to be put into practice. Is it like those gawd-awful pointy Italian shoes? Some will remove their little toe to wear them, but in reality and not in the magazines, people don't.

Is the "perfect" kitchen more important than the comfort like the remembering childhood kitchens thread? Comfort like not freezing your elbows off when you lean on a counter? or shatter a glass when it slips out of your kids' fingers?

But should I be shot for my lack of taste because I don't want steel or specks? When I shop for my dreams (I do that a lot), I get the most disdainful or shocked looks when I softly say, "That's nice, but it's not what I want." Or anyone helping me disappears! [lol] That is OK 'cause I'm sure not ready to make a purchase, but it won't be there when I do!

Just curious. Do you have these items because you absolutely love them, or is there a little of it being the thing to do?

Christine

Comments (74)

• 13 years ago

senator13 - It's funny that you mention naming children. I went through the exact same thing, worrying about whether I liked a name because *I* liked it or because I was subconsciously following trends. Was I trying to give my child a good, solid name, or was I trying to impress my friends and neighbors with my fantastic naming abilities? The same goes for kitchens. Am I choosing a finish because it pleases me and because it will serve a useful function, or am I hoping that everyone who sees my kitchen will swoon at my sense of style (when I might not even like some of my friends' senses of style)?

• 13 years ago

No granite here either - don't want it because I don't like it, yet I think those who do love granite should definitely have it. I think soapstone is often beautiful, but I'm leaning toward butcher block to be able to afford some of the other things I want. And I'm okay with that budget trade-off. I'd much rather have the hand painted tile for the back splash than a fancier counter. And I want white appliances because I love the clean look of them; stainless is not me.

I think there are many here who are not in the granite/stainless crowd. Be a crowd of one and get what you love.

Create what you love seems to be my theme post for the weekend, but I think it's an important theme. It's really easy to be persuaded into the idea that there is a right look when, in fact, there is no right kitchen look.

• Related Discussions

OT: Karyn..I don't want to look at your don't look

Q

Comments (3)
    Did you make it there ok? How was the weather? just relax :-) Lucy
    ...See More

An epiphany: I don't think I want granite. Now what?

Q

Comments (58)
    I really don't like granite. It's too speckeldy, too pretentious, too cold, too ostentatious, too expensive. And maybe it's just me, but doesn't most of it just look like rust stains? I also researched all the other countertop choices. Throughout our homebuilding we've tried to remain focused on our twin goals, Durable and Low Maintenance. And so we've come back to granite. What I found out is that granite showrooms only have a tiny selection of slabs onsite for you to look at. And most of those are ugly speckled rust stains. BUT, when you've found a company you want to work with, they'll hook you up with the huge granite yards where you go to pick out a slab and they send it to the installer. In our case it's a two hour drive to a huge city where there are a half dozen granite yards and acres of slabs of granite to choose from. You walk around for a couple of hours dragging your husband (who really doesn't want to be there and doesn't like anything unless it's cobalt blue) and your kids (who are fighting over a piece of gravel they picked up in the parking lot) and suddenly you turn a corner and find The Perfect Slab. And you hear a heavenly chorus that swells to drown out the sound of the kids squabbling and the perky salesperson who doesn't have a clue what you're really looking for (you couldn't tell her because you weren't really sure either.) And tears of relief and joy spring to your eyes, your husband drops to his knees in shock when he hears the price, and then you're done. Then you get to choose a backsplash!
    ...See More

I didn't... I don't want kids.

Q

Comments (19)
    Reggie, When I met my DH, I was 29 years old and I knew then that I didn't want to have children. He has three children and he would also see them every other weekend. Believe me, I did find it hard when they were around. I especially found it hard with the oldest child who right from the start did not like me at all. With time, I started disliking it when she would come over to our house because what missy wanted, missy got! It would just infuriate me and for years I had arguments with hubby about the way he treated this child, never, ever, ever saying no to whatever she asked for. Well, she grew up to be a spoiled, irreponsible child.She quit school early, got pregnant at 16 years old, got in-debth, etc. etc. etc. She got married and treated her husband just like she had treated her dad all her life, that is, when she asked for something, she had to get it NOW, her husband is the one who was stuck with cleaning the house, taking care of the children, etc. etc. That marriage did not last long needless to say. Today, she is divorced and she has had to make major changes in her life. And I must admit that she has matured quite a bit in the last two years and she is now in a new relationship and believe me, she doesn't treat that man the way she treated her x. But I find it so sad that she has had to go through all these experiences at such a young age. I sometimes think if her father had spoiled her less and had felt less guilty towards her, this child wouldn't have had to go through such negative experiences when she was so young. Today, my relationship with this step-daughter is good but it was hell getting there. I always told her that at 20 years old, she had gone through what a 40 year old woman would have gone through. So sad. This being said, I feel for you. I know you have been with this man for several years, but believe me, he will never, ever agree with you if you say anything wrong about his child, whether it's about the fact that you think she goes to bed too late or she is really childish or whatever. He will always defend her no matter how much he loves you. And believe me, this little girl's demands are going to become more and more big as she grows up. Whatever she will want from her father, I guarantee you she will get it and that will cause major, major fights between you and him! Believe me, I've been there. I have been with hubby for 20 years now and there were many times that I said to myself, if i knew then, what I do know now in regards to being a step-parent, I don't know if I would have started a relationship with him. So, all I can say to you from experience is you either have to accept this child in your life and try and detach yourself from her with love or....leave this man. I know you love him but you will drive yourself mad and make yourself sick to death if you continue in this relationship knowing there is a child that will always, always be there. Sometimes, in order to understand my husband's behavior towards his child, I would sit down for a minute and wonder what would I do if that was my child. Most of the time, when I truly thought about it, I thought I would do the same thing he did. These men love their children to death and they feel really guilty about not being in their life 24/7 and because of this, they will do anything an everything for them just so these children will be happy and not hate their father. I truly wish you luck sweetie.Keep posting.
    ...See More

I want to add shelves to an amour, but I don't want to drill holes

Q

Comments (5)
    We did this with an old amour. We cut shelves out of wood to the size to fit and then screwed a "leg" made out of 1"x1" wood on each corner of the new shelf (like legs). these just "stacked" inside the amour and since the supports were in the corners they did not show much and did not get in the way. You may need to use a good 1/2" or thicker shelf material so it will not bow if you put too much weight on it.
    ...See More
  • 13 years ago

The only 'right' look, is the look for you. When I bought my house in 1993, it came with stainless appliances the the PO had installed when the kitchen was remodeled in the 50's. The wall oven, gas cooktop and range hood looked pretty good considering they were 40 years old. When I installed a stainless dishwasher, it matched the old appliances well.

I could have easily done a laminate counter and vinyl floor, but am happy the my DD talked me into the tile floor. My wonderful SIL works for a tile importer / store and set me up with a porcelain tile that isn't smooth, so it feels as warm to me as my wood floors in the rest of the house. In the end, I'm happy with my choices... that's all we can hope for.

• 13 years ago

I'm not crazy about granite per se and intended to go with arborite but then I found a granite that, while not spectacular, worked with the cabinets and the backsplash tiles better than the arborite. I'm using the granite more as a transitional element between the more visible cabinets and backsplash, than one that is a statement in itself.

I did spend a lot more time fussing over the backsplash tiles. Simple as they are, in my mind, they are the most "personal" aspect of the design. As is the hardware, incidentally. I looked at thousands of models on the internet.

My parents spent fortunes upon fortunes remodeling their tiny semi-detached house, with the result that there was always something mismatched, slated to be replaced with proper matching material, but by then it was often two remodels too late...

Therefore I am mindful to stay away from fads, and keep with the style of the house. In fact, I am matching the stained glass cabinet doors to the stained glass front doors that I built.

• 13 years ago

Having spent a lot of time in middle schools, I refuse to allow the kitchen at my home to look like a school kitchen. All those hard surfaces that can be hosed down and sanitized industrially? Expensive, yes, but not homey. This is my home.

• 13 years ago

I'm actually, also going with a section of counter in Butcherblock. Direct Buy has an agreement with the Jonathan Boos company, so if I save, I can get a 42"x25" for a very decent price.

On the credenza I'm building, I want to make some of the checkerboard butcher block. That's more than the cabinets and counters together, so I'm going to make it. Can't be brain surgery.

On the rest, when my friend has time and energy, I'm going to have a Wilsonart countertop. He built one for me on the sink side of the kitchen & I have the materials for the other side. I'd love soapstone, but ... In the meanwhile, someday I have a unique countertop, I'll have butcherblock next to the stove, & when my friend is done, I'll have the coolest Me-Kitchen in the world. :)

Stained glass, uroboros5? How beautiful. I love leaded glass, myself. Are you making it yourself?

Christine

• 13 years ago

We have bisque appliances, grouted Duraceramic floors (vinyl with ceramic top layer) and laminate countertops! We definitely went against the trend for both financial and practical reasons. I think the only thing we would rather have done differently would be the countertop, but that would have been to go to quartz composite and not granite. The kitchen is a masterpiece to us...to everyone else, too, that saw what we lived with for almost 20 years!

• 13 years ago

Christine, you will indeed have a cool me-kitchen. Since I'm going with butcher block, I was thinking of insetting a piece of soapstone (or glass or some something stone and impervious to heat) near the stove. I *think* it won't be too difficult a job, an it will prevent the problem of hot pots on wood.

How do you plan to deal with hot pots on your counters?

• 13 years ago

And sometimes you have granite or whatever because of the budget. There are lots of items that are less expensive because they are more readily available, so although you are buying what everyone else has, it is not because you want to follow the trend.

• 13 years ago

since floor drains were mentioned...we wanted a drain in our new bath and the building inspector would not allow it. What if there is a flood from the toilet or tub? That's what insurance if for, was his reply.

• 13 years ago

I keep getting looks from people when I tell them about the soapstone or wood counters I want in my kitchen. Or the fact that I want to mix wood and painted cabinets. One friend said, "Well, you already had granite." Well, I bought granite before it was even considered for a countertop in my region. As far as appliances, I would like the DW and frig to be wood fronts. Having a difficult time forking over $$$$ for a higher end stove. All of my stoves have put out some excellent meals because I know how to use them.

Our laundry room will have vinyl flooring and laminate counters as will the lower level bathrooms for my kids and their families. Those products sure have come a long way!

• 13 years ago

Hi, Christine. I also respectfully contest the contention that "we all have these things." Having been around long enough to watch many trendy must-haves become tacky discards (or wish-we-coulds), I'm also left with a wonderful list of many things I've always liked, currently in style or not. Those are what went into my kitchen, I love it, and it genuinely looks good.

BTW, it was paid for with a few not-large checks on the never-large bank account we use for daily living. Appliances were almost-new good quality courtesy of Craig's List. Wanting white put me in a great position as so many have been eager to replace the white in their new homes with stainless. Insisting on getting those yucky uppers out of my face while I work saved big on cabinets and added style (and a wonderful airiness) to a lower-budget medium-size kitchen.

My version of "the thing to do." :)

• 13 years ago

So let's talk about not-stainless: I just don't like stainless, but what are the alternatives? Black and white seem to be it unless you're in the $5000+ category. Our current stove is a standard model from Sears with 4 burners and one of those long oval burners in the center (which can't be used when any other burners are in use). It cost around $700 not so long ago and is perfectly functional. I'm a good cook, and I like this stove just fine for all my cooking, baking, and preserving. It's black which looks nice -- until the finely floating Golden Retriever fur bits zoom across the room and stick like glue. Kind of like black pants - don't let the dog anywhere near.

I think I might like a brightly colored stove, but they only seem to be available from manufacturers like Aga and I refuse to pay that kind of money to get a cheerful, bright color. With all of the color choices available for everything else in a kitchen, you'd think manufacturers could do better than stainless, black, and white.

• 13 years ago

I did get granite, I just liked it, but in a warm, brownish green tone that complements my creamish painted/glazed cabs and the cherry island. I also ordered cherry butcher block on line for the raised section of the island my baking center. I love the warm tones of the wood. I did do stainless appliances and I'd do them again, its just personal preference. My kitchen is for me and my family and what makes us happy.
    Seeing the variety of kitchens represented here and reading all the thought-provoking threads, makes me feel that where ever on the spectrum our tastes may fall, we're more alike than different, because our kitchens are important to us! Viva la difference!

• 13 years ago

I have granite because I wanted the most bulletproof, least maintenance-required thing possible. For me, it came down to granite or quartz, and I found a granite that I thought was pretty and it was cheaper than quartz. Neither are common where I live. Most people here have laminate or solid surface counters. So for me, granite was about utility and not trendiness.

OTOH, I also hate stainless, and I'm not crazy about white or black. I wish appliance manufacturers would continue to offer most models in almond/bisque. I got weird looks when I told appliance dealers I didn't want SS. Also when I told kitchen showroom people I was looking for antique brass hardware. When I told the GC I wanted all drawers. Etc, etc.

You just have to stick to your guns and not allow yourself to be talked into stuff you don't want. And never, ever, ever go into a kitchen or appliance store unless you already have a pretty good idea of what you want, or they'll beat you into submission, and it won't be pretty.

• 13 years ago

Yep, I do the stained glass myself.

These are the front doors:

The pattern is on a slant, for the cabinet doors it will be straight. The pink areas will be a different color, but otherwise, I will be using the same glass.

Again... if you don't follow fashion, you can't fall out of fashion!

• 13 years ago

Ae2GA, I have no idea about pots. Never occurred to me. I just slap 'em down where I need them! I'll have to think about that.

Great idea about a soapstone inset. I dearly love soapstone...

Uroboros5, how absolutely beautiful. I wish you were close and I could bribe you in some way. :)

Guys, in the late 70s, maybe early 80s, my mom had her fridge electroplated kelly green. Actually, that tells me it was early 80s.

Anyway, it couldn't have been a fortune to have the fridge done, or my mom would'nt have done it.
    Do you want me to ask how and what she did to find someone?

Christine

• 13 years ago

I wonder whether there's something from the 2000s that will be considered "classic" one day?

Maybe in 20 years or so, people will start moaning about how people ripped out the classic white wood-edged laminate 1980's kitchen cabinets and over on retro renovation they'll be haunting e-bay auctions where they are being sold?

• 13 years ago

uroboros5... just beautiful.

• 13 years ago

I thought I read somewhere that you could have appliances professionally spray painted, similar to how they do touch ups on automobiles, for a fairly affordable price. It would be fun to have more choices...for less than the $5,000 range :)

• 13 years ago

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

• 13 years ago

Lav - I too have read that appliances can be spray painted at an auto paint place. I suppose if I were refurbishing a classic like the 60" O'Keefe and Merit (sigh and pitter patter) that would be one thing. But it seems less expensive to buy a super fancy new stove than to refurbish an old lovely one. There's a store not too far from me that sells refurbished stoves for the cost of Cornu Fe.

Warmfridge and Twoscoops - you are both RIGHT ON TARGET - it's about what you want because you like it, not because a kitchen designer or sales person beats you into submission to accept what they say you must want (and would if you, like them, knew best). And I think that's really what bugs me most is the professional arbiter of style and taste, I know better than you idea. I look at many magazines and websites and think ick or omg what were they thinking when I see the what is supposed to be "fashionable" or "good taste". But that ONLY means that I don't like it. If someone else likes it, then that is wonderful - for them. No one person (or organization) can determine what is and is not acceptable or pretty or "in good taste."

Susanne - If you find pretty colored appliances that are not stainless, black, or white, I'd like to know. I like white because to me it looks clean without the industrial or ostentatious bling of stainless, but a soft or navy blue stove that doesn't cost 10K would be great too. Or maybe kick-you-in-the-face red...

Vive la difference indeed!

• 13 years ago

I went with Caesarstone (and yes I have the SS appliances), but if I were to do it again, I would have chosen Corian for at least one of the surfaces. Once I saw the quartz installed, I immediately felt that it had an aggressive look to it. It's like the stone is in charge and makes its presence. Solid surfaces, on the other hand, are quieter and more inviting. They don't shout and you sort of slowly appreciate them. They also are not as cold to the touch and just feel very soft. My Irish cousin had suggested Corian because it was softer, but I guess I was influenced by the current trends. Next time I'll do it right! Good luck and go with your gut!

• 13 years ago

Hi Neilar, What an interesting description of the difference between quartz and Corian. I think you are on to something about the stone or quartz being "in charge" of the kitchen!

• 13 years ago

Christine, I hate to be a wet blanket, but the big downside to cork in a kitchen is water. You do have to be careful about water. I know someone who put beautiful cork in the family room (where one would think it would be OK, right) - after replacing the cork floor twice because of an overflowing ancient ice machine, they bought a new ice machine and put tile back on the floor. When the water line to the ice machine started leaking, all the water got soaked up by the floor - worst, because the cork is so absorbent, it took awhile for anyone to notice the floor was wet.

Just have to watch the dishwasher and the plumbing! I think it would be easier in a kitchen, although you would have to be careful about wiping up spills, you are much less likely to have a big leak as they did but not know that.

• 13 years ago

I agree that Neilar is on to something. I had a friend/neighbor with a degree in design come over to share my kitchen plans, and when we were discussing the counters, she made the same point. Basically, she made the point that granite counters (especially a "busy" pattern or one with alot of movement) will take center stage, so you have to decide if that's the effect you're going for. (She has a very subtle Corian in her kitchen, BTW.)

That said, we may still go with granite (or quartz), but either will be in a very subtle/consistent pattern.

Funny thing piqued my interest in this thread -- in discussing our budget and choices, DH gave me the thumbs up on a Bosch Dual Fuel slide-in range, which is really at the "stretch" end of our budget, and now I am debating "do I really want it?"

So I get it.

• 13 years ago

Cangelmd, then I better get it inside off the porch, where it's been sitting in rain and snow for six months. Go figure.

I own it, and like everything else, I'm using it. I don't have the $$ to do anything else.

So it goes...

Christine

• 13 years ago

I have seen a number of design magazines where, when the whole house is featured, rather than just the kitchen, there are some rather ordinary, or even old appliances in the kitchen--and not SS.
    --------
    I think as manufacturers come up with more models, more features, etc., they have to reduce *something* so they reduced the number of colors. Back in the 50s and into the 60s when refrigerators seemed to come small and medium and ranges came in gas and electric they could offer more colors.

Now that Whirlpool offers 56 (!) refrigerator models, if you started offering each in multiple color options the percentage of each color could be so low that it would drive up production costs.

------

I think that while many granites take center stage, some stones and many quartzes as well as solid surfaces, could be used to suppress the overall palette:

Soapstone in a grey kitchen. White marble in a white kitchen, red quartz in a red kitchen and so on.

The newer way to stay away from stainless is to panel the appliances, and while most panels are done to match cabinetry there is no reason the panels couldn't be colored. The limiting factor is the range.

One way to suppress the cooking appliance would be to use a cooktop in white, black, stainless, bisque or brown, whatever blended the most with the countertop, and placement of the oven in a non-focal-point. But perhaps we will be able to buy ovens with well insulated doors in the future that could be paneled with some kind of heat shield buried in the panel. Maybe the panel would have to unclip for the self cleaning mode.

• 13 years ago

I don't care for the panels for appliances that match the rest of the cabinetry. It creates a "wall of cabinets" look.

• 13 years ago

Don't be afraid of cork flooring in a kitchen or bath!

After it is installed, you can polyurathane it just as you would a wood floor, 2 coats or even more. And silicone-caulk the edges (at minimum around appliances and in front of the sink) to keep water spills from seeping in the edges.

Don't leave it on your porch in the rain, though ;)

• 13 years ago

Cabinet panels on appliances are not my preference either. There are panels that are designed in colors and prints that you can put on refrigerators and dishwashers. I've not seen these in person. The idea of having a birthday or holiday panel for special occasions would be great for kids, but I don't know I'd want one everyday.

This is still not what I really want, but it's better than plain stainless.

Here is a link that might be useful: appliance art

• 13 years ago

But there is nothing that say that the panels have to match the cabinetry, that's just how most people do it.

Most laminate companies also make metallic laminates and sheet metal. Chemetal makes all metal laminates and thin metal sheet. You could also use a colored laminate to differentiate the appliances from the cabinets.

You could have a fridge and a DW that look like rusted Cor Ten steel if you wanted, or polished copper or brass. Frigo Designs also makes colored panels.

Not many residential designers or kitchen designers seem to think of this stuff, it tends to be used in the contract environment. But there is no reason it couldn't be used residentially.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chemetal

• 13 years ago

just have to chime in here about the cork

Cork is NOT absorbent.
    How much wine does the cork in the bottle absorb?
    it is naturally moisture repellant

so I don't know what those friends had on their floor but it sure was not cork!

I have cork floors and they are amazing and soft and warm and beautiful

• 12 years ago

What a great post. So many thoughts went through my head but of course I can't remember them all now!

Here's what I'm thinking now.

* I'm not a huge fan of stainless, but we're doing a modern (think Euro) kitchen because DH is from Holland and the white and black styles don't seem to fit. Also, hoods are really pricy if you don't do stainless. So I caved.

* I hate hardwood. I know everyone's supposed to love it, but we have it now and I hate it. It's LOUD and I can't ever keep it clean. HATE HATE HATE it.

*In our new house that'll we'll be building this year, we're doing cork in the kitchen and dinette. Like others, I was concerned about water at first, but really, if you spill something, you clean it up. If you have most anything kind of non-stone floor, you're going to be replacing the floor, so be careful and enjoy the soft, QUIET, kind to your joints, good to earth, pretty cork.

* I don't care for granite, either. Too busy. We're going with Hanstone quartz (Specchio). Love the recycled glass. Feels all tree-hugging to do it, and it's pretty.

• 12 years ago

CEFreeman, I guess this is why I like gardenweb...specifically the kitchens forum. It's a great place to get ideas for things that you can't always find elsewhere. We do things the way we like but offer our plans here for some outsider input. I think this helps us try our ideas and it helps us make sure we can still sell the house to someone else later if that is a priority. I am redoing my kitchen from bare walls up and have chosen my materials based on my dreams, my budget, and some materials I wanted to make come to life. I say that if you want to say "no", then go for it!

• 12 years ago

Cork is more misunderstood than soapstone.

--

To be is to be different. Be yourself: the other options are taken.

• 12 years ago

Has anyone mentioned that Blue Star makes gas ranges in colors? sayde got a pretty green one. I don't know how pricey they are.

I like stainless in my house, but if you want a black or white wall oven, you can get the side-swing door from Frigidaire. This is a big advantage, in my book. (I'm the apostle of side-swing doors on wall ovens.)My friend used very dark granite, dark-stained cherry, and black appliances. It's dramatic and gorgeous. Stainless wouldn't have been nearly as nice.

I completely agree that granite will ultimately date our kitchens, and I didn't like that "you have to have granite" attitude. I wasn't going to get it. But when I saw the stones, I felt just like I used to feel when I was little and had a rock collection and my dad took me to a rock shop. Each one was prettier than the last, and I wanted them all. But if you never had a rock collection, you certainly don't need to have it. My brother had lovely laminate counters put in his last house. And my neighbor sold her house in one day, with (gasp)recent laminate counters. I've been living for 22 years with the previous owner's pink formica counters and full backsplash, and I kind of like it. And heaven knows there are lots of nice choices besides stone or laminate.

So I realize I came into this discussion late, but I wanted to add my do-your-own-thing two cents.

• 12 years ago

At the risk of sounding inflammatory: I do think there is also a crowd of people that want to do something "different" just for the very idea of being "different". Let's admit it: There are plenty of granites and ss appliances that DO look good -- of course it depends on how they are used, context, and setting.

Granite can actually be fairly cheap, although the better looking ones tend to be pricier. I went with granite not because I thought I had to have one, but it turned out to be cheaper than quartz, soapstone, limestone, marble, etc. I think I personally got lucky since we found one that we liked.

Besides, there is plenty of benefits to granite, INCLUDING comfort and functionality... Every counter material, including laminite, has its pros and cons, but I believe that granite's pros outweigh the cons, especially considering durability, cost, and visual appeal.

As for ss appliances: I can pretty much guarantee you that they will not go out of style. My honest opinion is that they won't go out of style anytime soon because the metallic finish pretty much matches any kitchen cabinet style. There may be some minor exceptions, but by the time one decides that ss is no good anymore, then most likely the appliances need replacing anyway due to failure or better features in new appliances.

• 12 years ago

Well, that's the first time I ever heard a rock touted for its "comfort."

And of course, no one can guarantee anything won't go out of style. There isn't a kitchen anywhere that one can't date to its year of installation in an instant, except perhaps for meticulous period reproductions.

• 12 years ago

"I believe that granite's pros outweigh the cons, especially considering durability, cost, and visual appeal"

The only granites that have "visually appealed" to me didn't look like granite. It's kind of like clothing fashion, really; there are some seasons when it's really hard to find something I want to buy. Other seasons, it's like the designers had me in mind. Granite isn't my season...thank goodness GW is here to showcase other options.

• 12 years ago

marcolo: If you're talking about physically hard vs soft, then nothing is technically comfortable by virtue of the fact that countertops are supposed to be hard. As for guaranteeing something will stay in style, I think its a higher possibility with SS appliances, not necessarily with kitchens in general.

• 12 years ago

Exactly, jessicami! Trancemission, I'm sure there are plenty of granites that look good to someone, but none of them can disguise that they are big cold hard insanely heavy pieces of rock. I much prefer my rocks to be out in the garden, not coated in plastic in my kitchen.

Regarding the need to be 'different' in one's choices - well, that's capitalism in a nutshell. That's why you couldn't find a new avocado fridge this month if your life depended on it, but they will be the most desirable new item on the market in 2012 when the moneyed class is saturated with stainless.

Here is a link that might be useful: Veblen says hello

• 12 years ago

circuspeanut: That's the thing though... How many times have you heard designers/customers/anyone say "the warmth of the countertops" when referring to a granite countertop? Big, cold, hard in absolute sense, but just because it is technically so does not mean it will feel that way in a nicely designed and appointed kitchen.

• 12 years ago

How many times have you heard designers/customers/anyone say "the warmth of the countertops" when referring to a granite countertop?

• 12 years ago

People will say anything as long as it turns you into a listener and a buyer.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg062037451860.html

• 12 years ago

"Dare I say I don't want it?".....

Yes. Your kitchen, your money, your life. Why even ask?

It seems that those who are not fond of ss and granite, in particular, feel the need to defend their decisions, as this isn't the first of such threads.

No need to ask permission to do as you like, just as there is no need to proclaim your dislikes for "overused", and "common" materials. Many people love them - they are not mindless choices.

Don't be throwing stones at the nasty sales ladies...especially if you have any of that outrageously beautiful stained glass!

Create and enjoy!

• 12 years ago

Ha, Marcolo, 'tis true. Trance, I live in Maine and previously had granite. Never again! Cold and hard are indeed absolute qualities when you're waking up after a night with the temperature at -10 and the heat down to 50; you can't put a hot cup of coffee (much less a human elbow) on the counter.

• 12 years ago

Different people like different things for different reasons and if deviates from what's in trend now, or what's seen in the magazines or open houses, they feel the need to defend their decisions. Unless you are selling your your house, I don't see the need to do this unless this is a style you truly like. Kitchens get dated regardless. We didn't go with white/cream cabinets, wood floors and marble counters with subway tiles. Not that there's anything wrong with those things (and I do think they can be beautiful in the right style of house for those with the right kind of lifestyle), but they aren't our style and we went with what we liked because we plan on staying put for awhile. Dare to be different! Who knows, maybe you will start the next "trend".

• 12 years ago

For me it is simple, while I appreciate many granites and some ss appliances, they are not for everyone. I also find many granites to be downright ugly and many ss appliances to be boring looking (hard to distinguish from all the others I have seen that day).
    I think the best plan is to figure out what you like by having an open mind. Shopping out your options and getting what works for your home, family and budget.
    What I have heard repeatedly on this thread that just because the masses think that granite and ss are "musts" that one should follow their own instincts and not worry that you are not part of the trend. We got 3 ss elements in our kitchen (hood, wall oven and micro shelf), 4 in white (fridge, freezer, micro and range) and a black dw. No one can accuse us of following the herd. Each one was chosen on its merits.
    If we had found a perfect granite, we might have gotten that, but over time, I think we came to the conclusion that it would not work with the vintage homey vibe we were shooting for. It was not for lack of trying though. We met with fabricators and walked miles in granite yards trying to pick one if it hit us right AND worked in our space. We saw many that were lovely but were not the right color scheme or look for this particular kitchen.
    I think if people don't consider their options, then they will have a limited kitchen (and life). We ended up with Corian counters which I would have bet heavily against going into the project. An open mind and patience led us to our right choices. Others will find their own answers, but hopefully not look down on kitchens that don't have ss or granite. Luckily, we have GW where we can read about others' experiences, see their choices and learn about more options. I'd know so much less if I had not practically lived here for a few years, lol!

• 3 years ago

I just bought a house which has 5 year old cork floors. It is covered by little dents from furniture, chairs and who knows what else. BUT the house is on a slab and the cork is so warm to walk on compared to the tiled areas. I chalk it up to “character”, but keep in mind that you cork floor will look lived-in in no time at all.