SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Dare I say I don't want it?

CEFreeman
13 years ago

Hi all!

I love all the kitchens I get to see here. They help me dream. I no longer have the luxury of just "having something done" but rather must save, save, save & shop, shop, shop. I often trade labor for beer, yoga lessons, power tools of which I have duplicate & triplicates, etc.

In my dreams, though, I have no room for stainless steel or granite. I do dream of soapstone or slate, but have no appliance dreams. I worked in restaurants for wayyy too many years to want to deal with those awful fingerprints. Don't go and tell me they're now fingerprint proof; I just don't care.

I don't care for granite. I love it in other people's kitchens, with some of the beautiful swirls. I just don't like specks.

It seems to me that if you're not putting steel or stone in your kitchen these days, some noses point up & refer to "high end" or not. I wonder what happened to functionality & comfort? It's given lip service in the magazines, whereas here it seems to be put into practice. Is it like those gawd-awful pointy Italian shoes? Some will remove their little toe to wear them, but in reality and not in the magazines, people don't.

Is the "perfect" kitchen more important than the comfort like the remembering childhood kitchens thread? Comfort like not freezing your elbows off when you lean on a counter? or shatter a glass when it slips out of your kids' fingers?

But should I be shot for my lack of taste because I don't want steel or specks? When I shop for my dreams (I do that a lot), I get the most disdainful or shocked looks when I softly say, "That's nice, but it's not what I want." Or anyone helping me disappears! [lol] That is OK 'cause I'm sure not ready to make a purchase, but it won't be there when I do!

Just curious. Do you have these items because you absolutely love them, or is there a little of it being the thing to do?

Christine

Comments (74)