SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nysff

Cyclone Rake - Classic vs. Commander

nysff
14 years ago

Looking for any comments on from anyone with a Cyclone Rake, either Classic or Commander model. Moved into a heavily wooded lot (3/4+ acre of lawn + wooded area) and we back up to a wooded area. I've settled in on a Cyclone Rake for fall leaf pickup, but I'm going back and forth between the Classic and Commander. When I started looking, I decided the Commander would be way to go.

Since then I've tried to find a used one with no luck. I had an opportunity to purchase a used Classic and a used Commercial Pro. With the Classic the price/condition didn't match up in my opinion and I passed.Passed also on a Commercial Pro - very good condition, but bottom end price was just too close to what I could get a new Classic or Commander. New units come with B/S Vanguard vs. Inteks and the Tecumseh which I'm not sure is commercial grade or not.

I've since been giving more thought to going with the Classic. If the used one I looked at was at a lower price or better condition, I probably would have bought it. So if I was willing to buy a Classic used, why not new? The other issue is that I don't think I'm going to make use of the larger debris capacity (285 gallon vs. 200 gallon). Some comments from others is that full, these units can get very heavy. I've got some 15% grade to contend with and some steeper areas, so I don't think trying to navigate with the Commander full is something I'm going to want to do.

Both come with B/S Vanguards with the Commander having slightly more powerful version (6.5HP/9.1 vs. 5.5HP/8.5) and both use the same 4 bladed impeller. Have to move up to the Commerical Pro or XL to get a higher flow impeller. Commander does have the 8" deck hose vs. 7" on the Classic. If the debris capacity is not an issue for me, I thinking that the slightly larger engine and 8" vs 7" deck hose isn't going to make or break the use of this machine for me and that is an additional $300 if I buy new. I wanted to see if any Classic owners feel as though they should have bought up and/or do they have clogging issues with the Classic? I've thought of the determine what you need and then buy a model up theory. However, in this case, that doesn't hold for unneeded debris capacity and is the small increase in engine hp/torque and a relatively short section of 8" vs. 7" deck hose really going to make a great difference?

Also, I was originally planning on getting the 17' vacuum pickup hose. However, I was thinking that in many areas around the house and in the landscape beds, before I run the tractor/cyclone rake combo over the lawn, I would just blow the leaves onto the lawn with my blower. That seems a lot faster and just as effective as stopping, getting out hooking up the 17'hose, vacuum, unhook, move the tractor/17' hose to the next spot, etc. For a few areas where it might be a bit more work to blow the leaves onto the yard, I could just detach the deck hose and blow/rake that small amount into the deck hose. Anyone doing it this way. The 17' hose is an additional $200 and after seeing the used hoses I looked at, this hose would seem like a good candidate for the hose upgrade due to the abrasion between the hose and ground, etc. That bumps the cost of the 17' hose to $275. Getting the Classic without the 17' hose drops the price by $600+ including tax/shipping.

I guess also if I get the Classic and determine that I really need/want the Commander after a season, I could take WPP up on their 2009 risk free trial and be able to upgrade to the Commander.

Anyone else go through the same thought process? Thanks

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living