SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lexfire

Thoughts on which Deere

lexfire
14 years ago

Hey there, new member. Just moved into new home from a condo. Have 7/10ths of an acre which is mostly flat, but is very bumpy in the back yard as well as having (currently) lots of flat rocks sticking 1 or 2" above the ground. I am only interested in a Deere, have done a little browsing on this site and have been convinced (by friends as well) that the "big box" Deere's probably won't work well for me. Have been browsing some used models...X300's & X324's, 325's, 345's, etc. I am wondering what the differences are, say between an X300 and a 345? A friend of mine has a 345 and I used it today and really liked it. I want a hydrostatic tranny, power steer, Kaw engine, 48-54" deck, #hours not sure about?, liq vs. air cooled is up in the air for me and for my budget I'd like to stay between $2-3K. Any help, suggestions, information would be appreciated!

Comments (23)

• rcbe
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

keep yer tractor funds dry and get that "rock garden" back yard landscaped, smoothed out and rock-free. Those rocks sticking up as you noted will quickly wreck most any mower rig you put out there, imho.

• lexfire
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I plan to get those rocks up and the backyard smoothed out as quick as I can, but it's probably going to be a pretty big project and require a bit of fill dirt (which I don't have now). My buddies mowing deck on his 345 cleared the rocks without scraping yesterday, but I am going to have to get my own tractor sooner vs later because I'm sure he won't let me borrow his forever.

• Related Discussions

Which John Deere 345?

Q

Comments (2)
    parkgt, I would rather spend $2700 vs. $3200. As far as the hours, although the '96 is older, both have averaged about 50 hours each per year. I have never heard anything negative about the Kawasaki water cooled 18 hp engine. In fact, these engines are said to last some 2000+ hours. Essentially a life time for the average home owner I would think. With good care of course. Have you considered the JD GT series mowers? You can pick up a 2001 - 2005 GT235/245 with 300 (+,-) hours anywhere from $1700 - $3000. Something to consider...These too are very capable machines and you may find a newer machine with less hours and less money spent. Yes, I have a GT and it is a great machine. Good luck
    ...See More

which join deere for mowing and pulling 318/322/332/420/445/455?

Q

Comments (14)
    I have 2.5 acres total, but about 1 acre of lawn, and 0.5 acre of brush/field (mostly Japanest stilt grrass). I use a gator blade on my old craftsman before it broke to mulch mow, without using the mulch cover though (just side discharge). I plan to do the same with the new used JD if possible. I do not like to bag. clippings add nutrient to the lawn. I do not even bag leaves. just mow them into fine dust (might take 2-3 mowings to achieve that). GX and GT models are hard to come by though. njrookie
    ...See More

Which John Deere is right for me?

Q

Comments (14)
    no brainer! the GT262, it already has a blade and chains which is atleast a $500 attachments. I agree with Kompressor buy a walk behind tiller for tilling. You can find them on craigslist dirt cheap rear tine or front tine. I like rear tine, easier to handle.
    ...See More

Which Deere/mower or brushhog?

Q

Comments (3)
    Both are real good machines, get the one that the size of the machine works best for you. A brush hog mower is for a rough cut of fields and etc. A belly mower(MMM) is for finish mowing(yards) and not meant to mow fields. A F.E.L. is one of my most used implements but they are not good for snow removal, a blade, blower or sweeper is the best there. From your post I'd say you need a brush hog(rough cut mower). I've got the tires on two of my tractors liquid filled(loaded) for traction and stability. The models you mentioned are 4-wh dr and you may not need to do that. Down here I get by with straight water for loading tires but if you live where it gets cold(freezing) then the tires need to be loaded with something that won't freeze. Windshield washer fliud is what I've heard of several people useing. Talk to your JD dealer, tell him what you want to do with the machine and ask his recommendation.
    ...See More
  • nysff
    14 years ago

Lexfire,
    There are a number of pros here who can get into some real specifics on the 345 and similar units. I was in your shoes earlier this spring and can at least give you my perspective from a recent buyer with a similar lot size and initial budget.

X300 series are lawn tractors with lawn tractor hydros (K46/58). The 345 I believe is pretty close to the current X540. X500 is the current entry garden tractor series with the X540 on the high end. The X500 series has the K72 hydro which seems to be considered a medium duty garden tractor hydro.

First question to answer is probably do you need/want to step up to a garden tractor for ground engaging capabilites, getting the garden tractor hydro for capability/longevity if pulling loads, mowing significant slopes, etc. You'll find a lot of debate on hydros - I think in the end you'll just need to make your own call.

I've got about the same to mow as you, 1/2 of it with a pretty good slope to it and I plan on pulling a cyclone rake every fall for leaf collection. I've also been using it for transporting mulch and soil around since I got mine in late Spring.

I decided early on to with a garden tractor, mostly for the tougher hydro and overall heavier construction. With my initial budget at no more than $3K and a Deere, that meant used. From recommendations here on the forums and from my local dealer, I was focused on the GT and GX series. The GXs as originally stated to me, would be > $3K for something in good condition. Water-cooling, power steering, deck lift, etc. were not that important to me, so I settled in on GT series. Some recommended I get a diff lock, but so far, I have had no slipping.

I was looking at the GT225, 235, and 245. After I uncovered some carb problems with the 20HP Kawa in the 245, I didn't want any trouble and focused on the GT225 and 235. The GT225s had 15 and 16 HP single cyl Kohler Commands and will take up to a 48" deck I believe. The GT225s seem pretty rare, so I was also looking at GT235s, which have a different model 18HP twin KAWA or the earlier models have 18HP twin B/S Vanguards. With some patience, I'm sure you could find very good condition low hour (say less than 250 hr) unit for If you want the power steering, lift, etc. below $3K, that seems like you'll need to give up some on condition and hours to get a GX or an older 335(air)/345(water). It seems like to get into the $2-3K range, you're up into the 600/700 hours on up. In contrast, max hours I was looking at for a GT series was maybe 250 with many much lower, some as low as 70-80 hours. My preference for the same price range was to get a much lower hour GT series and with the GT225 I purchased I actually got very low hours at a price of $1700 which was actually below the original $2-3K I thought I would need to spend. I'm very satisfied with the GT225.

Hopefully, there will be some others who can give you some very specific guidance on models/options, especially the older stuff before the GT/GX series where I was focusing. Good luck.

• lexfire
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey nysff, very useful information, thanks very much.

• metal
    14 years ago

nysff is right, for your budget you will have to go used to get anything more then a Big Box tractor from John Deere. You would need to get into the X320 at a minimum to get a 48" deck and they start out around $4,000. If you are like me (champagne taste on a bologna budget) then used is the only way to go. I would continue borrowing your friends tractor until you get the rocks cleared out though ; )

• deercub
    14 years ago

I bought a used GT-235 for the same price as the box store units 3 years ago and could not be more pleased. I got it from a JD dealer and he even put on a new 48 deck. $1900.00 out the door.

{{gwi:346398}}

• grassy
    14 years ago

Power steering and the larger deck is going to make it tough to get you into the $2-3K range, except for older models. Liquid cooled is going to narrow it even more.

Do you really need all that tractor for 7/10th's of an acre?

I bought a JD LX277 ten years ago (17hp Kaw engine, 48C deck with mulch kit, hydrostatic, no power steering, air cooled) and I've been cutting 2+ acres with it each of those 10 years, no problem. I paid $3600 for it new back then.

I can't say I've ever been mowing and said "darn, I wish I had power steering" or "I wish I had liquid cooled". Occasionally I wish I could add a tiller, but then I would have bought a tiller that I would use maybe once or twice a season at most - in general, a waste of my money...

Just my opinion, but unless you plan on plowing snow or adding a front blade or tiller to move dirt, those tractors you mentioned seem like overkill for that size lot.

Unless of course you want it for the "toy" factor (which I certainy do not discount - that's why I have a pickup truck and work in an office...)

• nysff
    14 years ago

Good point on the LXs. I was looking at that series before I decided to go garden tractor. The only issue on price is that from what I saw this spring, there is somewhat of a floor for very good condition, premium JD lawn and garden tractors. At least in comparison to my GT225 at $1700, I don't think I would have spent that much less on an LX on average.

Also, I forgot to mention last night, if you have the some time and patience and are willing to go right to $3K or slightly higher, you might be able get a nice condition GX series. Just to check a few out, I looked at couple and also emailed/called a few more. Asking prices were no lower than high $3K range for what I remember were GX255, 325, 335s. A couple of the GX sellers pursued me in a way that looked like they were desperate to sell and we're not interested in eBay or something like that (these were all Craigslist listings). I got a few phone calls back with "come back, take a look or another look and make me an offer." It seems like I might have got one of those in the low $3K range and they all had low hours. I didn't get that response from anyone else except some GX sellers. So with some patience and luck, you might find a GX not that far north of $3K for something in nice condition.

• backman01
    14 years ago

7/10 of an acre i would get a good self propelled,or a snapper rider you dont need a big tractor,you will keep bp down and loose lbs. Rick

• doberman_2007
    14 years ago

I have a x534 and it takes 1 hour 20 min. to mow 7/10 acre 48 inch deck . Could not imagine push mowing it 3 hours plus...lexfire get rid of the rocks you will kill your mower.... If I could use a combine I WOULD.

• metal
    14 years ago

I have a 15 year old JD LX178 with a 38" deck and can finish off 1/2 acre in less than 30 minutes. I am mulching so don't have to stop to empty bags, but if it took me over an hour I would be looking for a combine as well.

• marineguy
    14 years ago

I too have a GT225 which I bought a few years ago in pristine condition for about the same I would have spent on a box-store JD ($2k with some extras). I mow 2/3 of an acre (20 minutes if I don't trim, 40 minutes if I take my time and do it right). It took me about a year to find it on eBay. You can expect to spend at least 6 months until you find something really nice in your area, but it's well worth it. When buying used, since you're paying half as much as new retail, it makes very little sense to downgrade when there's a chance you might need a garden tractor for snow plowing or landscaping equipment. When you're buying new, $3,000 vs $5,000 is something to concern yourself over. $1500 for a used LX vs $1800 for a used GT is a no-brainer.

The old 325/345 is basically the same as the GX series (slightly heavier frame than GT, hydro lift), which is similar in capability to the X500 series now.

Another old (but not too old) series of JD garden tractors to consider are the original GT series (GT242, GT262, GT275). I bought one of these for $500 a year or so ago for no reason other than it was a darn good deal. Then I found a brand new snowblower dirt cheap and a steel cab enclosure for $150 and it ended up being a pretty good snow removal machine for my Dad. These tractors are very rare, but featured Kawasaki motors (14 and 17hp), and 48" decks. Check craigslist (in all the nearby areas) and eBay. You'll find something.
    I threw together a buyers guide to consolidate all the stuff I found out in my year of researching middle-aged deere tractors. Check it out on eBay.

• bushleague
    14 years ago

There are some great Deere deals on eBay currently, don't forget cl. I just picked up a low hour LX279 for $400. Yes liquid cooled, probably outlast the tractor and the steering is so easy it doesn't need to be power.

• davidandkasie
    14 years ago

if you are mechanically inclined, go for the 345, MUCH more machien than the current X3xx series. if not, then get a new machien with a warranty.

as to "a x534 and it takes 1 hour 20 min. to mow 7/10 acre 48 inch deck " that is going to be due to your personal mowing habits and obsactles. i mow my 4 acres in in 2.5-2.75 hours on my X500. i have over 50 trees to mow around, and i have them either mulched or sprayed 4-5' around them so i don't have to trim right up to them with the tractor. my lawn is as evenly mowed as anyone elses, no skips/streaks/strips/etc.. so either you are going REAL slow, you back up a lot, or you have a lot of obstacles. no way a X5xx series should take that long on less than an acre. in the areas where i have no trees/obstacles, i can mow just over 2 acres per hour.

• bobinbaltimore
    14 years ago

Also on the "a x534 and it takes 1 hour 20 min. to mow 7/10 acre 48 inch deck" comment. I have a 2008 x520 with a 54" deck and mow my 3.5 acres in about 3.5 hours if I'm being modestly efficient. About 1.5 acres are pretty rough, so that slows me down a good bit on that. I can't imagine needing more than about 45 minutes to mow 7/10 of an acre unless it is unusually rough or planted.

FYI, the x520 is liquid cooled and has the medium duty TuffTorque. It has done extremely well on my property, including that rough area (ruts, gullies and decent grades, too). I have no problem pulling a 48" core aerator with 200lbs of weight across all that. It's been great, but expensive. That said, you get what you pay for.

• lexfire
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Some useful information here for me to consider. I may go air cooled (nothing against it, I have a Harley), just wasn't sure about reliability and performance vs. air cooled. Budget may allow up to about 3500 and I'm planning on getting used. Thanks all who contributed.

• doberman_2007
    14 years ago

Tons of landscaping , mowing out a large ditch , lots of trees = MORE TIME ....

• davidandkasie
    14 years ago

then that does not compare to realistic avg yards! nothing wrong with your needing more time, just the way you worded it made it sound like that was the norm for folks with a similar machine.

• bunnyman
    14 years ago

Stay away from liquid cooled. Your yard is not big enough to make use of it. By the time a liquid cooled engine warms up enough to mowed with you could have the yard mowed and done with.

I'm on my 4th JD.... 1975 100, 1983 317, 1996 345, 2006 x485. Loved the 345... great machine but it takes 5 minutes of warm up before it is ready to mow grass. I mow several acres of christmas trees so 10-12 hours on the tractor is normal... five minutes of warm up is nothing in my situation. A quick touch-up of my front lawn made the 5 minutes seem like forever. I had a carb fire with the 345 that burned the air cleaner and radiator shroud off... a pita that prompted buying the x485.

• equinox_grow
    14 years ago

I have about the same sized lot as you and it takes about an hour with either the John Deere 165 with the 38" deck or the Craftsman with the 42" deck. My lot is perfectly flat and there is no problem with air-cooled or Non Power steering.

• nysff
    14 years ago

Looks like a very nice 2004 GT235 with the Kawa on eBay right now. Not a single bid at $2200 right now. At least in the northeast, that would be a good price for what looks like a very good condition, low hour 2004 GT235.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2004-John-Deere-GT-235-Riding-Lawn-mower-tractor_W0QQitemZ200384569036QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea7d9decc&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

• bushleague
    14 years ago

The GT235 on eBay Motors is mint! If you do buy this get a steel bumper.

• lexfire
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, after much looking, a friend of mine found a '03 or '04 GX345 with 97 hours. I have contacted the seller and agreed upon $3,800 which is a little more than I wanted to spend, but it's one owner, always garaged, has the 54" deck, a 48" snow plow (which looks hardly used), and a utility cart all included for that price...I could hardly pass it up. I've only seen 3 pictures of it, but it looks in great shape. Probably a little more than I really need, but I can definately use the pull-behind utility cart, and who knows, maybe make a little extra cash this winter plowing neighbors driveways (if we get much snow). Thanks for everyone's inputs.

Sponsored
More Discussions