SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westcoastbroke

How do you pick a brush cutter?

westcoastbroke
17 years ago

I've got a couple of tasks to deal with. A 150 foot frontage with a ditch, that needs to be cut. This *could* be a lawn mower, except for the slope - it's basically grasses. I figure a good sturdy string cutter would work.

I also have 300 feet along one property line, with about three to six feet of brush, with trunks up to 1/2" diameter. Much of it is blackberries, which have REALLY nasty thorns. Climbing in there with hands and knees puts the upper part of one's body at risk, even with husky clothing. A power tool with handle is what I'd like - like a "brush cutter", I"m envisioning something like a string trimmer, but with a metal blade instead.

Another property line is 500 feet long, this one has a mixture of desirable oak and fir trees, with some brush growing up around them.

The final task is the most onerous - a patch of blackberries that's about 50 X 75 feet, that I want to completely clear out. For that task, I may rent goats or pay a farmer with a tractor, so I don't HAVE to be able to deal with this particular infestation with the brush cutter.

Once having cleared out the excess growth, the blackberries here grow as much as six inches a day, so there's continuing work to do that's really beyond doing it manually.

Are there brands to avoid? Brands to want? I've noticed someone on ebay selling a brand called "Power King" for relatively cheap. Any good? How do I pick a size? The ones on ebay have 25CC engines. Is that big? Small?

I'm a newbie to buying anything less common than a lawn mower, so thanks for any help!

WCB

Comments (20)