SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ericlehtinen

Using metal wire on brush cutter

ericlehtinen
15 years ago

I've got a Stihl brush cutter. Neither the plastic string blade nor the solid metal grass blade are sufficient for the problems in my yard. I really want to try using a metal cable or wire attached securely in the same way the plastic string is attached to cutting head.

I would like any comments or warnings from experienced users. It seems like such a good idea I don't see why it's not offered commercially or authorized by Stihl. I Emailed Stihl and the only reply was that Stihl does not authorize the use of a metal wire on the cutting head. No explanation as to why.

The problem with the plastic string is that the vegetation in the yard is so thick and heavy that it rips the plastic string right out at the base within a few minutes. The metal disc blade is just too small and doesn't shred the vegetation as I go along, and much of the vegetation is just pushed out of the way by it instead of being cut. I really need a string blade that will not break or wear down but will rip through anything.

Comments (21)