SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

Which is true?

katrina1
16 years ago

Caldwell nursery says that Fuji apple trees from Japan are self fertile. Is this true?

Nature Hills Nursery website and their customer service rep says that Golden Delicious would pollinate Fuji apple trees. The Customer service rep also told me that a Virginia state researcher has published that a Fuji apple will pollinate a Granny Smith apple tree, but the Granny Smith would not pollinate a Fuji apple tree.

Then to make matters even more confusing. Nature Hills Nursery reports that Fuji is a mid April bloomer and Golden delicious is a mid April bloomer, but I found a different web site which agreed that Golden Delicious is a mid season bloomer, but also that they reported Fuji apple tree to be a late season bloomer along with Granny Smith, GoldRush and a few others.

So, does that mean that Fuji apple trees will pollinate a GoldRush apple tree?

I have to ask that question because I saw a report which listed Goldrush apple trees, which are a sport or sister of Golden Delicious, as blooming about 2 or 3 weeks after Golden Delicious apple trees.

Yipes! This fruit tree pollination stuff is so confusing; when there is such inconsistant information out there.

Help!

Comments (8)