SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
token28001

Help me decide what would be best

token28001
15 years ago

I've done a lot of reading and I'm pretty sure I'm more confused now than when I started looking into the subject of building a greenhouse.

First, I'm in zone 7. We get very few nights where the temperatures drop below 20 degrees with most nights hovering just below freezing. I have a spot in my yard that receives about 7 hours of direct sun during the winter months thanks to the deciduous trees surrounding my property.

What I want to be able to do is propagate many plants. In winter, I want to be able to propagate hardwood cuttings of deciduous and evergreen plants. (forsythia, crape myrtle, azaleas, leyland cypress, flowering quince, mock orange, etc etc) In early spring, I'd like to be able to get a good month's start on my annual and perennial seeds without resorting to starting them indoors or waiting for the wintersown method. In June/July, I want to be able to propagate softwood or semi-hardwood cuttings as well.

Depending on my success or failure, this may become my next business venture. If not, at least I will have enjoyed learning the techniques.

So my question is, would a hoop house be suitable for doing this? Or do I need a fully functioning heated greenhouse? I believe an intermittent mist system would need to be used for the cuttings in spring/summer. I'd really like to have soil warming cables for the winter hardwood cuttings and possibly warming mats for seed trays in early spring/late winter.

Since I have no experience with greenhouses of my own, I'd like to know what I should look for or avoid. The hoop house would be 12' x 14' if I build it this year. I don't want to start off too large, but don't want to go too small either. I suspect I wouldn't be using all the space at the same time. I'm thinking of putting in two raised beds along the outside edges of the hoop house. The beds would be 4' x 14'. I know that's difficult due to reaching the outer edges, but I want to use as much space as I can without wasting it for walkways. Above these beds, I want to install wire closet shelving for flats and pots. I will have lots of old used, broken brick from an exterior porch that I want to use for the floor to create a heatsink. Another question has to do with the raised beds. Would brick help me achieve warmer soil than a 2x8(10) wood bed?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Can I even do all this in the same space? Should I just stick to propagating as I did this summer using the simple propagation chamber consisting of clear storage bins?

I'd also like to use a lot of scrap lumber and acrylic sheets that I have on hand to build a cold frame against the Eastern side of my brick house. Is that a good location?

If I missed any information, please ask. I really want to do this right. Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: A hoop house plan from the NC Cooperative Extension Service

Comments (2)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm