SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psymbiosis

Newbie: Help me decide which hens are best for me

psymbiosis
17 years ago

I have been lurking on this forum for a while, I usually stick to the more garden-y side of GW.

I am looking to build a chicken tractor over the winter and want to get chicks/hens in early spring. I think I would like to start with about 4 or 5. I do not want a rooster. I think that the chicken tractor I am looking at the plans for is good for bantams or standard sized birds.

I am not sure, however, which I want. I have heard good things about bantams, but think that I would rather do standard sized birds...mostly because I want standard sized eggs (this is really the only reason). I also have a ready local source for 4-month old Cochin bantams, but not for standards at all. I am hesitant about doing the day-old chick thing, though I saw a Rubbermaid brooder that I think I could handle. And I like the variety I could do with day-olds.

There are so many options. My head is swimming. I want the birds for eggs (would probably not ever be able to butcher them), and for natural bug control, and to use their droppings as fertilizer.

Any advice appreciated.

Sam

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County