SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

'Painting the roses red' Not 'Sourv. du Dr. Jamain'.

luxrosa
12 years ago

Darn and double darn! my landscaping plans have been thwarted.

I had planned a white rose border for the front of the property I bought last year. I had planted it mostly with white Tea roses and Noisettes, some in multiples:

'Westside Road Cream Tea' x2 by the entry.

Nastarana

Le Pactole

Lamarque' x 2 over an arbor.

Mme. Alfred Carriere,

Mrs. Dudley Cross (in full sun she usually blooms palest ivory here, in autumn with some pink)

and a 'Snow Queen' (syn. 'F.K.D.') because I don't spray and it is very clean here.

and then, I thought one red rose in the middle would be dramatic, and I had c. a 15 foot spread left open, I thought a really fragrant red rose would be perfect, because although I love Tea roses best of all classes, I do love smelling a damask perfumed red rose.

After spending many hours researching red roses that would bloom well in a little shade but not burn, fragrance, growth habit and disease resistance in our area

I ordered a 'Souvenir du Dr. Jamain' from one of the Canadian nurseries because I was impatient to have a big fragrant red rose, and rootstock often produces a big initial growth spurt.

I planted the rosebush in early Autumn and waited. The first year in the ground, it never bloomed at all but produced lovely supple arching canes covered with shiny foliage that is clean. That's good. Today it produced its' first open bloom, to my great dismay. I picked it and showed it to my house guest who said "Oh, "Iceberg' that's pretty!"

AArggghhh!

It isn't Iceberg, I think it may be a white Rambler, the foliage looks very wichy to me, as do the stipules.

I told her what I thought and she said it reminded her of Alice in Wonderland and started singing "we're painting the roses red" in a cheerful mode.

I wish I could, and spray them with fragrance.

Does anyone know, where in mid-April I can buy a:

red

fragrant

disease resistant

climbing

Old Garden Rose?

Thanks for listening.

Luxrosa

Comments (4)