SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arwmommy

NOT a compost newbie...so I feel like a dork asking this....

arwmommy
16 years ago

So this is my 3rd year doing hardcore composting and I am hitting a problem that is new for me.

My pile won't stay hot! I know this sounds like a basic question, so read on....

The pile is 2.5'w X 4'l x 3'h. It has a large amount of chicken litter (straw and pine shavings with poop), grass and leaves from mowing, small amounts of kitchen scraps, and some leftover compost in.

A month ago, when I first cleaned out the chicken coop to add it into the compost, as I do twice a year, it got HOT fast (150*-160* in just 24 hours!) BUT the ammonia smell from the chicken poop made my eyes water just walking into the garden, and though my neighbors never said anything, I'm sure they could smell it too, as it is close to their house!

So I did what I was supposed to, I added more straw to adjust the ratio (Maybe a 1/4 of the current size is the new straw addition). It got hot again, in a few days, but only for like 24 hours. IT WILL NOT HEAT UP AGAIN! I turned it a few days ago, again, doing what I am "supposed" to do, and nothing!

* It is actually the *perfect* moisture, not soggy but moist throughout.

* It has a tarp on it to keep in moisture and heat

* It seems to be of good size

* It has lots of browns AND greens in it

* I just turned it

* It doesn't smell strongly of ammonia, and kind of has the typical compost-y smell it should have.

* I don't need to spread it in the garden until fall, but it needs to get HOT to kill some of the seeds that are in there from the chicken feed.

Thoughts? I really really don't think it needs more N, as it has 6 mos of chicken poop in there, and I just had to tone down the smell with more browns, but that is all I can come up with.

Am I being a dork here and just not getting something?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County