SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arwmommy

Planting seeds in 7' of pure compost ???? Am I crazy?

arwmommy
16 years ago

Hello everyone!

I am on year 3 of our Raised Beds, doing Organic Lasagne Gardening (though I do mix it up from time to time in the beds in the fall/winter). We are on horribly sandy soil, and I am thrilled at the ability this has given us to actually grow things!

Our beds (5 of them) are 6' x 4' and 12" deep. The bottom of the beds have about 6-7" of decomposed "Lasagne" style "soil"-- grass clippings, straw with chicken poop, leaves, woodchips, horse manure, compost and everything else. It looks beautiful and is SWARMING with worms. Under that there was newspaper (from 3 years ago), but it seems to have totally broken down, so the roots *can* reach the sandy soil underneath if they so choose. We just had 6 yards of local hay/horse manure compost delivered for our garden beds and flower beds. The compost is now piled up maybe 1 or two inches over the tops of the beds-- about 7" of compost. I have watered it so it starts to compact a bit.

Here is the question: Can I just plant my seeds directly in this compost, or should I stir up the beds a bit? I want to put in seeds tomorrow or the next day, and have struggled with this.

I have searched the site and appreciate all the past threads even kind of related to this, but wanted to ask this specific question. Thanks so much!

Leanna

Comments (18)