SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anntn6b

2nd time: I did not hesitate

anntn6b
12 years ago

Last year I lamented on here how the parent plant of Warwick Chapel red, over by Chesney Tennessee (near Lutrell) had disappeared. It was in a field, and then it was gone. Not that the field was being used, just that the field was empty, now.

What's important about Warwick Chapel is that it is (probably) a HP that does well in my part of the country when it is ignored, and a bit better when it's well treated.

In Blaine, my closest town (it even now has a sidewalk although some folks disrespectfully call it the sidewalk to nowhere) there has been a rose that I had wondered if it were also Warwick Chapel.

The no longer lived in house where Blaine red lived was not abandoned. I never saw anyone there. But it was in their front yard. Then the land was sold for a major upscale convenience store.

I drove past when a crew was there clearing the honeysuckle and some of the weeds. By the time I got back from Knoxville, and pulled over to ask if I could take the rose, the rose was gone, flattened, but honeysuckle was nearby, still climbing a telephone pole.

So I waited and watched. The rose didn't come back last year, even with an inch of rain a week.

Happy story. One vibrant red bloom appeared on Monday. Tuesday we dug it up. Wednesday morning....you know where this is going, don't you?.......there was (after half a year of nothing happening to the now vacant lot) an earth mover sitting on top of where the rose had been, and its treads were moving back and forth to get the shovel scoop into the right location to dig a hole for some reason or other.

But two fairly good pieces of (now called) Blaine's Crossroads red are in my garden. The bloom color is not (this bloom cycle) identical to Warwick Chapel.

So, for now, it lives on.

And time will show if it's the same or not.

(The newest Blaine leaves have a fine red edge that Warwick's leaves lack, but let's see if the roses converge or diverge over time.)

Comments (7)