SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken3592

Eggs of BB Nest Destroyed 2nd Time

ken3592
15 years ago

For the second time this season, the bb's have successfully built a nest and have layed their eggs. After the eggs were layed, I set up a Sparrow Spooker made with mylar strips. The first time the eggs were destroyed, I found the eggs on the ground, each with a small peck hole. This was after a rain storm. I blamed House sparrows for this. This morning, however, after a second batch of eggs were layed, and the sparrow spooker in place, I found the eggs, once again, lying on the ground in pieces. This again, was after a large amount of rainfall.

After the second time finding the eggs on the ground, I do not know what to blame. We live in an area where there are very few BB predators (racoons, snakes, etc.). There are, however, many HOSP; though I didn't see the HOSP around the BB nest at all during the times the eggs were in the nest.

I was wondering what the cause could be for this disaster. Do BB's destroy their own eggs after the nest possibly could have been flooded? Are the HOSP really sneaky, and resistant to the Sparrow Spooker?

Comments (12)