SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maki1122

Confused about preparing soil for new veggie bed

15 years ago

I have read Steve Solomon's highly recommended book "Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades" as I prepare for my first veggie garden. I have a plot about 25'x35' with soil that looks fairly compacted and wet right now, obviously. Looks like the previous homeowner did some minimal veggie gardening there in a few small raised wooden beds placed atop weed barrier fabric. After I take off the fabric, I'm confused about how to proceed.

According to Mr. Solomon, I should have prepared my bed last October, using no more than 1/2" of compost and then added lime, thrown in fava bean seeds and rototilled 2" deep, then wait for spring.

Obviously, I dropped the ball, since I didn't even read this until last month. Now I'm grappling with what to do. I'm probably over thinking it, but I'd appreciate your two cents.

Should I:

1) add 1/4" compost and lime, then work the existing soil in with the compost and lime with a rototiller, then cover with another 1/4" compost and starts seeds from there. This just doesn't seem like enough soil but what do I know...

OR

2) bring in several inches of Cedar Grove vegetable compost mix and rototill.

I also posted this in the NW gardening forum, so hoping for good input one way or another.

Comments (5)