SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

Biological pest control - thoughts?

User
11 years ago

This year, my cytisus was infested with broom gall mites - had to practically chop it in half to remove all the infected branches. Anyway, looking up info on this, I was amazed to read that the mite was being released in Australia and Oregon, to combat invasive gorse. Various bacterial and fungal organisms are being pressed into service (the Japanese knotweed beetle has been released in the UK). These non-natives often have no predators....supposedly dying off when the 'host' weed is eradicated. As if!
Even odder (to me) is the enthusiasm for these controls by many people for whom chemical use is the first step before you end up dicing with Dr.Death. Organic gardening catalogues are stuffed with them (bio-controls). Anyone find these parasitic wasps, spores, bacteria bit worrying? Or (more likely) have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick?

Oh yeah, the ladybirds - the ferocious (and cannibalistic) asian Harlequin ladybirg was introduced in Europe to act as super-munchers of aphids....but unfortunately they ate the native ladybird species too.

We have form for meddling....and it often goes arse-up.

Comments (13)