SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodywoodchuck

BCS tiller tips?

woodywoodchuck
18 years ago

Hey all,

Right to the point first Anyone have any tips for a new BCS 718 owner? Some quirks or tricks that will make it a more useful and pleasant tool to use? It will be a dedicated 18" tiller.

Now for the background. Been a lurker for a while due to no actual garden to keep me out of trouble since I moved from Binghamton, NY 5 years ago. Now, have a house and 1.5 acres in the Raleigh, NC area and room for a few gardens, vegetables and flowers. Veggie garden will be (start out anyway!) about 20Â x 30Â with room to expand to 40Â x 70Â (larger if/when I move the house and kill a few trees). Other beds to be tilled: 18" x 10Â to 20Â x 20Â.

Bought a brand spankin new Troy Bilt Super Bronco a few weeks ago and the belts gave out after about a tank and a half of gas. Both belts came off the pulleys and got all twisted up. It did do a really great job of chewing through the undisturbed soil and had more than enough power to get the job done. Dealer could not find any reason that this happened and replaced the belts. For a few reasons  which we can go into ifÂn yÂallÂd like - I left it there and ordered a new BCS 718 Harvester.

Sure the BCS 722 or 732 would have been great, 948 even better! But, too much machine and $Âs for what I need at the time. More the cost than power to be truthful; another $400 for the 722, a grand for the 732 and second mortgage time for the 948. Actually the 732 - with differential drive - would have been the better tool to buy but could not afford it or justify the extra $1,000. The 718 should do everything I require of a tiller. Could also have spent the $2,000 on a Troy Bilt Horse or Big Red but after the BroncoÂ..

Anyway, been a few years since I used the circa 1970 Ariens behemoth in the 50Â x 100Â garden. Yes, it was still going strong when I gave it to my brother and expect it still is. That old thing had NASCAR horsepower and weighed as much as my flatbed Chevy. Took about the same size tires too as I recall. Did a fantastic job, when you could keep it under control, but something like that is much more than I will need now.

Oh, one more question. I have a lot of amending to do in all the beds. Anyone in the Raleigh/Wake Forest used ÂArea Mulch and Soils on route 98? Or know of another place I can buy a few loads of compost. Looking at 16 to 20 yds for this spring. They were the only local place that had an organic composted cow manure option which made me happy.

Looking forward to your suggestions and comments! - John

Comments (33)