SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alico268

Compost bin floor in contact with soil

Alico268
10 years ago

Good morning Gardeners,

I checked the FAQ and searched this forum but was not able to find an answer to my question.

I am going to construct a 3 bin compost system, and from looking at designs on the internet, I noticed that some had floors separating the compost from the soil and others did not letting the soil come in contact with the compost. Personally, I would think that I would want soil contact for benefit of creepy crawlies having greater access to the compost. Perhaps I'm missing something? Is a hot pile too much heat for worms and such?

Just thought I would get a little more advice before settling on a design to construct. I am a novice gardener who has a 250 square foot garden bed and 6,000 sq. ft. lawn. I compost leaves, weeds, kitchen greens, garden plants and lawn clippings occasionally. The compost benefits the garden, lawn and beds.

Also, if using cedar or redwood for the wood material on the compost bin, is there a safe stain/protectant one can use?

Any advice or perspective would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to all that make this such a wonderful site!

Comments (18)