SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njitgrad

roof/floor of compost bin system

njitgrad
10 years ago

How important is it to set a 3-bin compost system on top of bare earth vs. setting it upon, say a base of pavers that completely separate the material to be composted from the ground?

In other words, will the entry point for organisms that breaks down compost be compromised severely?

At the very least I plan on using 2"x6"x12" cinder blocks to make a perimeter to keep the frame of my compost system from making contact with soil (to make it last longer as well as to level it). The interior of each bin would be exposed to bare ground.

If exposure to bare ground is necessary, is it advisable to secure hardward cloth to the floor so that it makes it easier to shovel out the composted material?

Regarding the roof....I made frames with hinges that will cover each of the three bins. My plan is to only use hardware cloth in the frames to keep out critters. This will allow rain and snow to penetrate. Is it advisable to use some sort of roofing material instead to prevent water from entering the bins?

I will try to post photos later today of my current progress.

Comments (27)