SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stinkytiger

Snow Plow service vs Snow Blower

stinkytiger
15 years ago

Hi,

I would like to ask the forum their views on if it is better to keep my existing snow plow service or get my own snow blower.

I live in Westchester County New York near the Westchester County Airport. I get on average 10 snow events per year. I have 400 ft of driveway 10 feet wide + 1,600 sq feet of car park / turn aroung area by the garage. The driveway is on a hill.

The cost of plowing the driveway is $US 50 a time for the first 6 inches of snow. An additional surcharge of $US 25 per each 6 inches after that.

On average I would say I spend $US 500 - $US 700 per year on snow clearing.

Right now I have a plow guy. He does an OK job but it is expensive. So my question is I was thinking of getting a Honda HS 1132 TA. This is in the price of about $US 3,000. So it will take me about 5 years to make it back. I like the track version, but have had no experience with snowblowers.

What are the pitfalls of going this route? Should I stick with the plow guy? Or should I go with the snowblower? If I go witht he snow blower, how long would it take to clear off 4-6 inches of snow which is a typical snow event given my driveway and area? How long would it take to do a 8-12 inch snow event, which is rare?

Thank you. warmest regards, Mike.

Comments (13)