SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim_w_ny

I've really had it with roses!

jim_w_ny
16 years ago

This my last year of obsessive rose love. I'm going to prune, fertilize, mulch add compost and watch them like a hawk. If that doesn't work forget it.

Well except for old ones. Even if they only bloom once so what. Plant annuals, perennials and let them take up the slack in blooming.

In my garden most roses flip the finger at my care and my soil. Die or malinger. I mean newer roses old roses don't seem to care. Solution, plant the old ones.

Last Spring I planted a half dozen roses in an extension of my main bed. This Spring only one had really prospered. An unheard of rose on this forum, Parkzauber, a once blooming Centifolia by guess who, Wilhelm Kordes. The rest where either dead or only stubs.

I've tried to figure out why roses don't grow for me and am on my last try hoping that upping my iron levels might prove the key. And the other stuff mentioned above.

I'm not all that optimistic and am actually looking forward to a mixed bed of all sorts of flowering plants with those tried and true old roses. Like Tour de Malakoff, what a great picture of it I saw.

Comments (39)