SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_adams3049647

I've had it with the bugs! It's Spinosad time!

Lisa Adams
7 years ago

Many of my pale roses are being ruined by thrips, rose slugs, mites, and caterpillars. Almost all the roses on this bush are ruined. So much blooming for nothing. ( Rose Joan Fontaine shown above.)

I rarely spray anything but I am losing too many flowers and leaves to tolerate. Normally, about this time of year, I spray BT for the green worms on my perennials and vegatables. The petunias and tomatoes are especially favored by them. This time I'm going with the Spinosad. I've already purchased the organic concentrate "Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew". I'm hoping this will take care of everything at once, thrips, mites, rose slugs, and the green caterpillars. I do have neem oil, but it's just too hot and sunny everyday.

I did some research before deciding to go with the Spinosad. I know to use it after the bees go to bed, and to get it under the leaves. I do however, still have a couple questions.

#1. Should I cut all the open roses prior to spraying? I'm going to properly dispose of the "infected" looking flowers, but will the spinosad ruin the appearance of already opened blooms and halfway open buds? (I will make sure everything is well hydrated before spraying).

#2. Should I use my Ortho hose end sprayer (dial type), or my 1 gallon multi-purpose sprayer? I normally use the Ortho hose end sprayer for the BT. I am more familiar with how to use it, but I find it kind of a pain. I usually end up wet myself, and it pretty much blasts the stuff all over. (Maybe that's a good thing for this case, I don't know). The man at the nursery was quite knowledgeable and recommended I use a pump type multi-purpose sprayer. I've never used one before. He was even kind enough to recommend (in a whisper), that since I don't spray often, I purchase a cheap one at Home Depot. He said the ones they carried were better but cost $60 and up. For the occasional user, a satisfactory one could be had for $10-$20 at Home Depot. I found a 1 gallon size for $9.97. I have not opened it yet, and will return it if I don't use it. It seems less clumsy and more accurate to use the 1 gallon sprayer. It may take me much more time though, I'm thinking.

I have about 50 roses (only about 10 of them are largish and somewhat mature). The rest are young and mostly potted. These average 2'-3' in height. The roses are closely mixed with annuals and perennials. Most, but not all of which show worm damage. My tomatoes number about 7. They are covered with the usual green worms. The tomato plants are small yet. I got a late start this year on my seeds. Most years I am still picking tomatoes until late October sometimes November, so they should be fine. Most of my plants are closely spaced, cottage style. I'm on a smallish lot, typical So CA "track home".

Thank you for your help. I plan to spray this evening, or perhaps tomorrow evening. Lisa

Comments (17)