SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

another 'problem' I've noticed since I've had a Miele DW

3katz4me
15 years ago

I've had a Miele dishwasher for almost four years. I've noticed since I've had this dishwasher that the colored parts of coffee mugs are fading away to nothing. These are just logo type mugs - not good dinnerware. This never happened with my old dishwasher. I had mugs for ten years that I used regularly that never changed. Now all the mugs I use regularly are fading completely away. I'm not sure if they're fading or if they're abrading.

I bought some new Mikasa stoneware about the same time I got this dishwasher (new kitchen) and it came with specific instructions not to use powdered detergent. Well, Miele requires that you use powdered detergent. I asked at the Mikasa store about this and they said powdered detergent can act like an abrasive.

I'd never heard of that so I just ignored it. Now I'm beginning to wonder. I've also had major problems with etching (which I've discussed here and with Miele ad nauseum so I don't need to get into that again) but now I'm wondering if possibly there is some other kind of problem. I also know this dishwasher uses very little water and has some energy efficiency feature where it keeps reusing the water depending on how "dirty" it is. I use very little detergent due to the etching/soft water thing but very little water and abrasive detergent seems like it would be worse that alot of water and an abrasive.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this in terms of wear/fading when switching from liquid to powder?

I continue to be amazed at the problems that have arisen since I got this "fantastic" dishwasher - none of which occurred with my old cheap one.

Comments (17)