SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

I said it before and I'll say it again: 'The More I Learn...

Lynn Nevins
19 years ago

... the More Confused I Get."

OK, so the latest thing to tax my brain is this:

Since I am zone 6/7, and my garden is a container garden, I always heard that the rule of thumb is to subtract 2 zones when looking for (container-intended) plants that will be hardy to your area. So I therefore thought that, for perennials, I should only look at plants for Zone 5 or below. Yesterday I was looking through a book I have, that shows all kinds of plants and their characteristics. I saw some plants listed as Zone 3-8 for example. Some of these same plants were then described as "moderately frost hardy". Conversely, I saw other plants listed as Zone 6-9 for example, and some of these were described as "fully frost hardy". So I am confused.

The only thing I could think it means is this: one particular plant might be normally found in Zone 6, and while it is "fully frost hardy" (meaning one night of frost isn't going to kill it?), that it could not survive the longer term frosts that would be found in lower zones. And conversely, while another plant might be normally found in Zone 3, if it is only "moderately frost hardy", that might mean that that particular plant, while found in parts of Zone 3, may not survive if it is exposed to long periods of frost?

So am I not only supposed to be looking at a plant's hardiness zone, but am I also supposed to find out how frost hardy it is? Is a plant's zone and its frost-hardiness mutually exclusive?

Thanks!!

Comments (4)