SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loveswindowsanddogs_gw

What I've learned. I'll pass it on...

The kitchen remodel in my old house is entering its sixth month. Who knew it would take so long? Everyone but me, I think. Now that I can see the end (don't laugh), I'd like to share some positive experiences.

The contractor/ designer team I've used is a small operation which has resulted in slow progress, but has some big benefits. They have amazing subs, mostly small "one truck" operations. The common theme among them is the fact that the folks who bid the work are usually the ones actually doing the work. No delegating the grunt work to someone else who doesn't have the same level of investment in getting it right the first time. The GC, electrician, plumber, HVAC, and cabinet maker have all been working diligently, with respect for the other trades, my home, pets, neighbors, and best of all working competently. The cabinet maker is an amazing craftsman whose product would rival any fancy schmancy national custom cabinet company; I'm sure their prices would be triple what he charged. He personally built and installed every cabinet box and drawer. As I type, he is putting sticky notes for the painters to touch up their boo boos on the cabinets. He is seeing stuff I know I'd have missed.

Here's a shout out for all small business operators who actually do the jobs they bid. You are who I want to hire from now on!

What else have I learned? It is impossible to overestimate:

1) the amount of dust and dirt inherent in a gut-to-the-studs job, especially if old plaster walls are present

2) the number of unexpected discoveries when stuff comes down

3) the number of delays

4) the value of a source of water for a temporary kitchen

5) the value of patience

6) the value of the wisdom and experience shared by regular posters on GW

I hope you all are enjoying spring!

Comments (12)