SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieboulangerie

What I've learned in the Laundry Room- product reviews

julieboulangerie
7 years ago

I've spent the past couple of weeks lurking around the forum, and wanted to let you all know about the products I've tried lately and my impressions. Thank you all for the things you've tried and posted about-- it's helped me!

My washer is a Whirlpool Duet, circa 2012. In the past few years, I've been using both the regular "blue" Ultraclean Kirkland detergent and the Free and Clear. Regular user of Oxiclean, don't bleach much. Water is very soft- less than 1/2 grain of hardness according to the City.

Many of my clothing items do not go in the dryer. I've been sensitive to some detergents, but I wondered how much of that was due to prior washing machines not performing a thorough rinse. So, I wanted to try some new stuff again. No rashes yet! I actually don't use fabric softener sheets for this reason. I am also really picky about scents. Some stuff really bugs me-- I can smell a corked wine across the room.

Tide Ultra Stain Release liquid- used on two mattress pads, one with yellow sweat stains in a very large area that were several months old (ick!) and one with a small blood stain. Pre-treated with the liquid, and washed on warm bulky items cycle. No added detergent due to the amount I used to pre-treat. Both stains GONE. Now I am not going to be an embarrassed host for house guests. Nifty little scrubber cap too! This one stays in the arsenal. The scent is fine too- it doesn't stick around.

Persil ProClean liquid- you're right, this one is a little stinky in the bottle, but I thought it did a fine job with a regular load of lighter-colored items. The smell was a little strange after I came back into the house- maybe like cooked green beans or peas? Didn't remove an oil stain on a sweatshirt with pre-treating. Not sure this one will stay in the cabinet long term.

Persil PowerPearls- Intense Fresh- these smell great on my white sheets, and it did a good job in removing some lingering odors in a hot water/whitest whites wash. The scent is light and dissipates pretty quickly. Also used to wash a few pillows that needed laundering. Removed stains with minimal pre-treating with Oxiclean stain remover. Winner!

Tide Odor Rescue- some of my clothing items needed some help- they became stinky right after I put them on. I ran them through two very warm water washes with these and the Tide Ultra, and the smells are gone. Fantastic little product!

Tide Purclean- scent free- love this! I'll be using it on darks and probably colors. No problems with over-sudsing. Not sure I can stomach the lavender/honey scent. Hate lavender on my textiles. How badly does it linger?

Woolite for Darks- light scent "Midnight breeze" that I actually really liked. Purclean is probably a better choice, but this will probably be for the 5-6 dark wool items I own and maybe in the rotation for jeans/darks.

Cheer Liquid- blech. Awful scent on dryer-dried items. Did not like! Cheer used to be the detergent my mom used, and it smelled so much better in 1992!

Up and Up Fresh Linen and Spring Bloom fabric softener- both scents are pretty good and don't linger unnecessarily. I don't use fabric softener all that much. I was scarred once when I used Downy's lavender a couple of years ago-- awful!

Affresh Washer Cleaner- effective, I think. I've used this since I bought the washer, faithfully when it requests to be cleaned. With this and wiping the door/seal and leaving the door open when not in use, the washer isn't stinky, and doesn't have buildup.

Comments (21)