SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riskaverse_gw

ISO Soil testing company advice

riskaverse
14 years ago

Hello,

I'm new to the world of soil (and gardening in general), but I'm trying to get up to speed. We live about 30 miles south of San Francisco and we are finishing up 6 years of indoor renovations (with much of it DIY by DH) and turning to landscaping our front and backyards (7200 sq ft lot).

Before we spend a lot of time/money on plants, we'd like to figure out why things don't grow well in our backyard. We really struggle to get the grass to grow (new sod 5 years ago with adequate sunlight and water), and the beds in between the grass and the fence (where we want to focus our new plantings) have grown almost nothing in the 6 years we've lived here -- 10 year old dwarf fruit trees struggle, weeds don't even take root. The front yard will take more intensive landscaping, but if we need to make significant changes to the backyard soil to help things grow, we figured that we should probably do that before we do the front yard (we have to go through the front yard to get to the back).

Under these circumstances, would you recommend soil testing? If so, by whom?

I've read here that California doesn't seem to have county extensions to do soil testing and so we called the native plant nursery and they recommended

http://www.perrylaboratory.com/index.shtml

and the prices made us gasp. Is it important to use a local firm or can we mail the sample to UMass or U Wisconsin?

Any advice/suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks so much!

Comments (9)