SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gronewld

Soil Test Results -- Need advice

gronewld
7 years ago

Long story short, central IL, new construction this year, my contractor finished up our home and planted seed in April. I believe he planted a 75% perennial rye and 25% KBG, however, I don't recall what cultivars they even were. Also, he just graded everything out without any of the native topsoil maintained; the ground gets hard as a rock in the dry heat, and a thick much when wet. Again, I was totally clueless in what needed to be done to properly prepare the area for planting. In any event, the lawn actually came up nice and performed well until we hit a hot streak (90+ three weeks in a row) in July. I was watering religiously up and through that point. Now my lawn looks like it is 50% dead and filled with foxtail and crabgrass. I plan to reseed this fall with a good mix of 70% KBG (3 or so high quality cultivars including Midnight), 20% perennial rye, and 10% creeping red fescue. I forgot to mention the entire yard is sunny, around 22k sf total to work with. I sent off for a soil sample and the results are in (I know a lot of people recommend Logan around here; I had sent off to this company before I discovered this forum!):

Any advice? It appears the pH and Magnesium are crazy high, any way to amend this? I plan to seed in early September; anything I should be doing now to prepare for that? Thanks for any and all advice!

Comments (5)