SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mountainrose_gw

Need a rose that won't clash with Mutabilis

11 years ago

I am not a planner.
I do not like yellow roses.

I have a bed that has been developing on a large slope around a lilac bush. At the top of the slope, I planted a Mutabilis last year. I really want another next to it. It is a large area, and Mutabilis won my heart last year. Come down the slope, past the lilac (if it spreads 10 ft, that would be wonderful.), and I planted a Jude the Obscure - not what I would class yellow.
Now there was no color scheme. I thought Jude would look pretty with anything. Now I have a Violet Hood I want to plant near Jude. I thought the smoky purple and buff-yellow would be pretty with the lavendar lilac in the background - not that they will bloom long at the same time. But remember Mutabilis up there at the top? What friend should she have? Mine seems to have a peachy rather than absolute yellow first color.

I have a General Gallieni and a Nile Cochet in the pot ghetto. I thought either might pick up some of the buttery tones of Jude and rosiness of Mutabilis. Would that clash? Should I just plan on several Mutabilis up there and no other color scheming?

I almost thought about Graham Thomas, not a garish yellow, but he is pretty yellow. I have yellow garden phobia. ;) But yellow is tempting with the purples....

Comments (24)