SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kippy_the_hippy

Help me pick-please SoCal Roses

Kippy
12 years ago

I am doing some dreaming for next year for a bed I want to re-do. I have to admit, roses have not been my favorite, but since the few I had bought for mom in the past have not been doing much, I took a pruning/care class and fell in love with Ambridge (the scent and look) I pruned and moved a few roses after the class and added a ton more, so far they all seem to be happy.

We are in SoCal, Santa Barbara, but not super close to the beach. The fog often breaks earlier in our area than other parts of town.

The bed is about 6' x 20', staying will be a border of Santa Barbara Daisies and a couple of "Alaska" shasta daisies(both not part of the 6' depth). Going will be a row of hibiscus cause I am not a fan and they attract white fly like mad. The bed is on a south facing wall of the house with high windows (1890s farm house) We have a drip system for water, a buffer zone from the random gopher.

Wants:

Resistant/healthy (not a big fan of spraying)

Scent

mellow colors-no reds (Mom has a few favorite reds all ready-guessing very healthy Dr Hueys...)

Love the look of many of the David Austins

What would you suggest? I plan on visiting the AC Postel rose garden, across from the old Mission, a few times in the coming months to see what is doing well and taking notes.

Thanks!

Comments (9)