SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coeng

suggestions for new shrubs to fill in holes

coeng
12 years ago

I'm looking for suggestions on filling in some gaps with new shrubery to compliment the existing shrubs. These gaps were from the previous homeowner so I don't know what was growing there before. I basically need at least three spots filled: in front of the electric meter, in the middle of the four shrubs, and to the right of the four shrubs near the back corner of my house.

As you can tell I'm still in the process of mulching that whole area. There was just too much soil and mulch in that whole area. I already removed a good amount of soil and applied two inches of fresh mulch near the electrical panel so that it is just about flush with the pavers.

See photos below. Here are my questions:

1) What kinds of shrubs do I have now?

2) What is that green plant growing low to the ground?

3) When would it be considered too late to plant shrubs this spring? We are in the early stages of a drought here in NJ.

4) Is it more advisable to wait until Autumn (when shrubs go on sale)?

5) What species of shrubs thrive best in NJ, are the easiest to find in nurseries, and are the most economical?

6) On the far right you'll notice a tall shrub I cut down in the fall. It was some sort of spruce but it was growing way to close to the corner of the house and I didn't like it. Should I remove the stump now or is it okay to wait for a year or so when I have more time?

7) Should I just plant annuals instead for some contrast?

{{gwi:249806}}

{{gwi:249807}}
{{gwi:249808}}
{{gwi:249809}}
{{gwi:249810}}
{{gwi:249811}}
{{gwi:249812}}
{{gwi:249813}}

Comments (17)