SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

Need shrub suggestions for new area

As part of a construction project we have reclaimed a former parking area as garden. It's pretty big. Really big. Like I-bit-off-more-than-I-can-chew-at-one-time big. It's basically empty now, just a few things, and I've planted some spring oats as a cover crop to hamper weed seeding and provide some spring compost. Eventually it will have an eating area on the north side by the raised bed you see in the back of one picture.

I'm not much of a shrub person mainly because I know so little about them. Most of the shrubs I grew up with don't grow well here. Azaleas/rhododendrons and certain hydrangeas will thrive here, but things like camellias, gardenias, magnolias (bit tall to be a true shrub), and the hydrangeas I'm most familiar with won't make it here. I've realized that with this big space it's time to begin learning about shrubs. At our spring swap I got a viburnum with a "white layer cake" look, still very small, and two winter berries. I'll find out next spring (or whenever they're mature enough to flower) what sex they are. I also have a red flowering quince I dug up and am hoping to rehome in the area. It has barely flowered since we've lived here, and I mean so barely I didn't even know it was a flowering shrub until this year, so I'm not sure of its health, but we'll give it a try. I don't want any forsythia in the garden, as they will all belong on the driveway's edge.

Give me your favorite shrub ideas. Open up my mind to the shrubs available to me now that thrive well here. Help me fill parts of this space. I'd greatly appreciate any tips on placement, as well. For instance, I have a hard time imagining shrubs in the middle of this area as I just think they'll block the view or create some kind of shade if they get tall. My inexperience wants to have every shrub put on the north side and/or edging of the garden. But, I know I've seen shrubs plopped in the middle of plantings and they look great. I just am not good at working with them. In the pictures you can see I've already dug some pathways to give me access, and to allow for enjoyment of future flowers (and weeds...sigh). Any help you can give me as to whether shrubs would work in this area, how they would work, and your favorite shrub would be appreciated! I can't make any guarantees as to how many years it will take to finally get everything planted....

Comments (7)