SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fletchb_gw

newbie ? about filling in errosion holes on hill

fletchb
14 years ago

Hello,

Have owned my house about 3 1/2 years and never had a problem with erosion till this fall when we started getting heavy rains. I live on a hill and right side of the yard is very steep. I have a concrete stairs about in the middle of the yard and the erosion is forming along the very right side of the stairs. The water is digging underground tunnels and when you step on the ground above the grass sinks in about shoe high, sometimes more. What I have been doing so far is trying to locate the very source at the top of my yard and filling in with rocks I have been buying by the bag full at lowes. I also have been filling in the holes along the stairs with the same rocks and even some small bricks to get a handle on things. I want to start topping off the holes with dirt so hopefully the grass will return in the spring. My question is I see lowes sells several different types of dirt or top soil and wondering if there is a preferred type for my type of problem??

FWIW I think the problem is a previous owner had these stairs along with a secondary sidewalk and whoever did the work did not do a good job as I have found this side walk is hollow and the water dug a hole on the high side and then went through the sidewalk and eventually broke through the thin side (already have repaired this but it is a pain).

Moral is if you ever get a side walk put in and you live on a hill make sure they don't cheat you on concrete!!!

Thanks, Fletch

Comments (14)