SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Old Roses carved in stone.....(pics)

celeste/NH
16 years ago

Many of you know from my previous posts that my husband and I travel all around our state (and beyond)in search of

old cemeteries in our quest to find old roses. We have found quite a few old roses from which we take a cutting to ensure that the wonderful old rose will not be lost forever, and return each summer to care for the original bush. There are hundreds of small cemetery plots around our state, many of them in a state of neglect and we rarely find any roses in them.....just dirt, weeds and moss. But even if we don't find a living rose, we oftentimes find wonderful tombstones with roses carved into them, mainly centifolia roses with their "cabbage" shape. We did a little research and found out the meaning of roses on headstones. When a small child or infant has died, the rose is but a rosebud still unopened. This signifies that the rose has not had a chance to bloom...just like the infant has not had a chance to live its life. Whenever you see a full-blown rose with a severed stem, this signifies a young person or adult whose life was "cut short". When there is a fully-opened rose with an intact stem, it will be a mature adult who lived a long life.

I wanted to share a few photos of some of these old

tombstones roses I have come across. We find these same rose depictions on great numbers of headstones in dozens of cemeteries all over the state. They are both fascinating and somber... beautiful reminders of souls who once blossomed here on earth, and of those who never had the chance.

Celeste

An unopened Rosebud....on an infant's grave...symbolizing the start of life, cut short.

{{gwi:226335}}

the next two photos are of youths who died....whereas babies had just the unopened rosebud, the graves of older children or teenagers show both a full bloom and a severed rosebud...meaning they were in the full bloom of life when they died....the rosebud signifies that there were still many blooms waiting to open, but were cut short.

{{gwi:226336}}

{{gwi:226337}}

The next two were graves of adults who were still fairly young....notice fully opened blooms with the severed stems...signifying that the deaths were unexpected and sudden.

{{gwi:226338}}

{{gwi:226340}}

The following was on the grave of an elderly woman...notice the full blown rose, but no severing of the stem, since the person had lived a long life.

{{gwi:226342}}

We also find roses on stones in many other forms, such as...

outstretched hand dropping a rose on the grave

{{gwi:226344}}

rose wreaths....

{{gwi:226347}}

rose bouquets, often with other flowers (lilies signify purity)....

{{gwi:226349}}

{{gwi:226351}}

and notice the woman's name....

{{gwi:226353}}

Comments (37)