SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

Old Roses that you have loved the longest.

luxrosa
14 years ago

I feel a fidelity towards a dozen or so roses that I've been in love with for c. a decade or longer.

Though there is always a rose that is new to me, that strikes my fancy, these have stood the test of time. I would grow all of them if I had space.

1. 'Mlle. Cecille Brunner' 1880's. I've loved this rose for 40+ years. My grandmother grew it in her garden and when she moved the rosebush went with her. When she died my mother brought the rose to her garden. As a child I admired its' pretty leaves and how gracefully the red stems, (corymb) grew, and formed a constellation of rosebuds.

2. white 'Rose of York' syn. Alba Semi-Plena, of all the white Alba roses, I love this one the best for its golden boss, large petals, lovely refined scent, pretty flagon shaped hips, blue-green leaves. I left this rose in San Francisco with a part of my heart.

3. 'Cornelia' my favorite Hybrid Musk, yellow Callisto a close second for beauty and fragrance.

Hybrid Perpetual

4. 'Jacques Cartier' the first Hybrid Perpetual I ever loved. I'm still impressed with its heady scent, clear pink hue and gorgeous leaves.

Scotch Roses: I'd grow them all if I owned acreage.

5. 'Stanwell Perpetual' 1830. Pale pink, beautiful leaves and arching growth habit. Thorny devil, angelic damask rose scent.

6. 'Altaica' I love its' refined scent, nearly as much as its blooms and wish there was a perfume made from it.

Rambler: Hard to choose a favorite, I love these 3 nearly equally:

de la Grifferai

Albertine

Rose-Marie Viaud'

Large Flowered Climber;

1. Long John Silver' I lost hours of sleep one summer, lusting after this rose and trying to figure out where it could fit in my garden. Huge everything, white roses, long thick laterals, beautiful foliage. c. 30 feet tall.

Old Garden Tea

I've desired every Tea I've ever seen, I've loved these the longest though,

11'Mme. Berkeley' rose pink, yellow blend. Medium sized perfect blooms.

12 'Susan Louise' huge pink and cream blossoms. Blooms dependably near San Francisco, Ca in winter, where very few roses bloom between Dec. 30-March 1.

13 'Lamarque' As fine of a foliage plant as it is a blooming rose.

I'm sure I've forgotten a few, I love Reve d'Or' in early spring and late Autumn, when its colors come out best, 'Le Pactole" I loved fervently, but it failed to thrive in my garden from powdery mildew, same with 'Ducher' and there are many Pernetiana roses I adore too.

Which roses have you loved for years?

Luxrosa

Comments (20)