SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

Old Roses with the longest vase lives?

luxrosa
10 years ago

During my next rose flush I'll cut a bunch of different roses at the same stage of opening and see which ones last the longest in a vase.

I collect grow mostly Old Garden Tea and Noisette roses, and though they are gorgeous garden plants, they have a vase life of 2-4 days in summer. (Mlle. Franziska Kruger lasted c. 2 days in a vase, and most of the other Teas lasted 3 to 4 days before the petals dropped off).
I'm looking for Old Roses that have a vase life of 4-5 days or more. Fragrance and good disease resistance are important to me, as I don't spray.
I love roses of these classes best:
Bourbon
Damask Perpetual, a.k.a. Portland ( though I only have Glendora which shatters nearly as soon as I notice an open blossom, in hot weather)
Hybrid Perpetual
Tea
Tea-Noisette

I have a historical garden with plants that are from the 1800's and earlier and a small area for plants from 1900-1939 before our housing village was established.
Thank you kindly,
Lux

P.S. I prep with these methods and means;
-I've heard it is best to pick the roses after they've been well watered, and in the evening or morning.
1.re-cut the stems in a bowl cool water. Because a rose flower is unusual in the fact that it quickly re-seals a cut stem, which cuts off water supply" in 8 seconds". This makes this an important step, or so I have read in a magazine article.
2. lay the roses in several inches of cool water for an hour or more to "condition the roses"
3. slit the stems vertically for an inch or more. This is my own idea. I find the vertical slit works as well as re-cutting the stems every day. The vertical slit lasts for 3 days, then I re-cut. For very thick stems I make 2 long vertical slits which appear like an "X" on the bottom of the stem. For a long stemmed rose these slits can be between 2 and 3 inches long. More inner cane exposed= better water uptake, I believe. .
4. Remove all foliage that would be below the water line. This is very important.
5. Add flower preservative to the vase water.
6. Put the vase, filled with water, preservative and roses in the fridge for an hour or so. ( I rarely have room for this step)
Vase prep:
-soak the vases in bleach water. 1 T. per gallon or more bleach if vase is scummy.
-use a bottle brush to remove debris.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus