SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aprille_gw

Input needed in cleaing out my yard

aprille
16 years ago

I'm cleaning out the back yard right now, getting rid of roses that have not been doing well or that I'm not too crazy about so I can make room for some of the roses that I have in pots. So far I've got rid of Double Delight (way too much PM, it was a hard decision considering it's fragrance, but it needed to go!), Blue Girl went as she had way too many suckers, Mirandy went because it was never a healthy plant, Mr Lincoln went for the same reason, an unknown rose went because it started getting sick, Melody went because I just did not like the way her blooms faded and she was not really a good rebloomer, I'm also getting rid of my Perfume Perfection because I've only got about 10 flowers on it for two whole years! I also got rid of 4 blueberries as they don't do too well around here (more space for roses!) ...

anyway, I'm kind of on the fence about a few other roses and wanted some input. I've had Bewitched for about 4 years now, and even though her blooms are gorgeous she's not a good bloomer for me, I get about 5-8 blooms a year, 8 might be a bit on the high side actually, I'm wondering if I should get rid of her or do you think she'll do better? Also Black Magic, same thing, hardly any blooms, it seems like they are just taking up space just for the odd bloom I get - even though the odd bloom is beautiful. There are so many other roses out there (in my yard sitting in pots - lol) that could take up that spot and bloom better. and then there's Auguste Renoir - gorgeous fragrant blooms but they don't really open very well for me, my plant has not got over 2 feet in over 3 years .... I'm thinking maybe it should go. I've also been eying William Shakespeare 2000 - good blooms, but the plant has not got over 2 feet in 4 years, now I've got Winchester Cathedral next to it and even though it's a small plant it looks healthy, WS2000 on the other hand does not look so good, just not a lot of new growth this year. I think I'm also going to get rid of Ronald Reagan & Perfect Moment. Any thoughts?

Thanks! I must say getting rid of these plants has been really wonderful! I've got so much more space in the yard now - we are going to put trellises around the fence and plant all the climbers I got last year that are languishing in pots - I can't wait to see how that turns out! Very excited.

Aprille

Comments (15)