SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diymidwesterngal

Need input on 'hidden' costs on my tile installation invoice

diymidwesterngal
13 years ago

Hi - I have several questions embedded into my story here, and would greatly appreciate your second opinions :)

We hired a contractor to install hardwood floor and tile, and complete a few little projects in our kitchen.

This week he did the tiling work and hit us with an additional $2200 in costs, then expected the payment the same day. I'm not opposed to paying him, but I want to make sure that the extra costs are justified to the project first.

Contract says "Furnish and install tile in area (approx 90 sq ft)- $1540." The tile I picked out was $6 sq/ft MSRP. He said he gets a contractor discount, but I don't know how much.

So, his estimate of $1540 for 90 s/f is $17.10 per square foot tile and installation. What should I expect "furnish and install" costs to include? Even if he DID pay a full $6 s/f for my tile... he's still at $11 s/f install.

Demo fees were extra and pre-set. All has been torn out and hauled away. He found 2 small (less than 6 sq inches) areas of mold on the sub-floor and we said yes, replace it. Then he tells my husband "I need to replace the whole subfloor because its OSB and can't handle the tile." Wouldn't he have known this 3 weeks earlier when he installed the hardwood floor in the adjoining room? I knew there would be some sort of issue with the subfloor, but I was under the impression (from earlier considering this a DIY job) that most floor tiling would need a hardibacker between subfloor and tile. Anyhow, contractor cuts out the whole subfloor (approx 90 s/f) and lays 2 new layers of plywood. Why 2?

Oh, and then he also needs a "special tile membrane" to protect the subfloor that wasn't included in the original quote. He charged us an additional $650 for that.

So at $1540 for "Furnish and install" just under 90 sq ft is it reasonable for me to expect that this cost includes labor, tile, grout, mastic, hardibacker and/or tile membrane? The tiles were set brick pattern, so I don't think too complicated? Can I negotiate on his charge for the membrane and the TWO layers of plywood? Is it typical to need a "tile membrane" that he should have mentioned in the original quote that we might need it? I need any input!!

Thank you! -MM

Comments (4)