SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mawheel

Noisy and Expensive!

mawheel
12 years ago

After the two torrential rains our area has had in the last three weeks, a large water stain appeared on our living room ceiling. We've been in our house almost 18 years and while the shingles were supposed to last 20-25 years, we'd been thinking about getting a new roof in a year or so. Of course, the leak/water stain decided for us.

After getting some estimates, we chose a company which has done other rooves (sp.?) in our neighborhood. We were told that if the weather held, the work could be done in two days. We were hoping for that, otherwise, there'd have to be a patch job and it would be two or three months wait for the temps to get warm enough to do the work.

Yesterday, the phone rang and a cheery voice said, "See you in the morning". Now, it's been pretty cold around here the last few nights; six a.m. temp this morning was 23.4 degrees, so we wondered if the job could be done. Of course, today's work was taking off the old stuff, so the temp didn't have to be 45 or above for the shingles to adhere. Tomorrow--if the rain doesn't come till late afternoon, the new ones can be applied.

We're very glad it's able to be done before Winter really sets in, but has it been noisy! A few times, it sounded as if someone was coming thru the ceiling. Our cat Maggie has been terrified and a nap is out of the question for DH.

That's the "noise" part of the title; I won't give specifics, but the "expensive" part is what DH and I are giving to each other for Christmas--and maybe a few more to come, too. The good part is that these shingles have a "lifetime guarantee"--whose lifetime I don't know, but I do know it won't be DH and I. :>)

Comments (10)

Sponsored
More Discussions