SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwoods_gw

our history in a tree

mwoods
15 years ago

We put up our tree yesterday. We always get a live one,floor to ceiling and with a few changes,it always looks exactly the same. Almost everything on there is something from our past or present and in looking at the tree this morning I realized that most of it revolves around people who are or have been in our lives. Dh's father's first christmas ornament,Dh's first christmas ornament,and our son's first ornament. There is a paper elf I made in the 2nd grade, a fabric ball our son made in the 2nd grade,and a paper candy cane our grandson made in kindergarten. I have ornaments made by Ruth Ann,by Sally Ann ( a Gper who passed away years ago) and a beautiful angel sitting on top of the tree which Kathy Jane gave me when we met up one time in Virginia. I have little ornaments representing each pet we've had,a tiny little banjo for when I used to sell and work on them,and the list goes on and on and on. Once a year when we go to North Carolina to the Outer Banks,we buy one Christmas ornament usually representing something or other. This year we found a little poodle,which of course is Digby's. I can't remember other than maybe one or two,ever buying an ornament just because it was pretty. Our whole history is in that tree and when the time comes that maybe we no longer can have a big one,I don't know what I'll do. Someone here years ago told us about their tradition of putting a ceramic green pickle on the tree. I never knew what that was all about and really enjoyed learning about its significance. So,are their any traditions associated with your tree if you have one? I don't mean house decorations,food eaten, or family traditions, but just your Christmas tree.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
More Discussions