SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Just Rambling again

calliope
14 years ago

The forum is a little quiet lately, I can hear myself think. So, you may as well hear me think too. LOL. Maybe it'll get you to post a few thoughts. Feel free to do your own rambling when I get done.

In thirty days, the nights start getting shorter again. Hold that thought. I've been counting down for almost two weeks now.

The roses seem to be hanging on this year. I have a tangerine rose right outside one kitchen window, and if it weren't loaded with sprays of buds now, I'd have picked it already to grace my kitchen counter. Nobody seems to give roses the credit they deserve to be one of the last plants blooming in fall.

I checked the weather forecast, and come Thanksgiving day, the "S" word is mentioned for the first time. It had to happen sooner or later. I have another "S" word I muttered when I saw that.

Have you ever felt like you live under a rock? I get that feeling often. I am a scratch cook but for cakes. Mine are nasty. So, on the rare occasion I want a good cake, I buy a box of cake mix. I usually find it's as easy to not dig around for the electrical kitchen gadgets and do my thing manually. So I am looking for directions on the box to how many strokes this cake should be beaten. OMGosh. Nobody does that anymore? We are all supposed to have electric mixers now. Well, I beat it by hand anyway, going from memory, burnt a hundred calories doing so, and it turned out light and fluffy. When did the hand stir directions disappear from cake boxes? When my g'mother cooked, it was always Poppy's job to do the mixing and beating. Funny what one remembers.

I found out that the traditional Corning ware isn't made anymore, there is a new formulation. Do you suppose it's because of the weight or the fact that it's just easier to buy those little disposable food storage bins, only they're so substantial that you wouldn't throw them away. I still use my old Corningware, but I have been using the same little plastic disposable bins for two and a half years now. LOL.

That a shortage of pumpkin for pies is expected because of the soggy harvesting conditions? What is as American as Pumpkin pie, and the major brand is Libby's, who's owned by Nestle, who's a Swiss company?

Did you also know that the tonsils have to be removed from beef tongue when it's processed? It's not allowed to be sold attached, because it's higher risk for BSE.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions