SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rsts_gw

Just a little rambling and 2 pics

rsts
17 years ago

As I have stated before (probably more than some would like), my main interest in daylilies is hybridizing. However, I have been thinking for some time that perhaps the hobby needs more balance. I now do not have a large number of any particular daylily. My garden consists of several hundred, possibly 1,000 or so, mostly seedlings and mostly very small numbers of any specific daylily. So, the visual pleasure is almost totally from seeing a new seedling that I like, which usually has only 1 or 2 fans the first year. I remember one year when I had about 55 blooms of FAIRY TALE PINK open on the same day. I thought it was stunning. BTW, FTP was the one that caused me to become interested in daylilies. Saw it at a daylily show many years ago.

I very much like the newer daylilies, especially ruffles, with or without eyes/edges. However, I also think there is a lot to be said for just plain, simple beauty. I am thinking it would be nice to set aside a fairly small area in the garden for just daylilies I most like as garden plants, regardless of hybridizing potential. Certainly, some of those used for hybridizing would be included. Can you imagine 50 blooms of SHORES OF TIME open at the same time?

I also just plunk the daylilies in the ground wherever I have a spare space. I am not good at colors, but think it would be nice to give some thought to arranging the colors in the garden I am thinking of trying.

What caused me to think of this again, is a daylily that is blooming today. I have mentioned before that I really like Tom Wilson hybridized daylilies. The pictures below are of one of his introductions, MAGIC LACE. The first picture is a bloom at 5:00 O'Clock, this afternoon, after a day in the low 90s and a brutal sun all day. The second is a picture from a prior year and, quite candidly, is the best picture I have of that daylily. It shows more pink than most blooms.

Finished rambling - now for the pictures:

{{gwi:634114}}

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio