SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

Hmmm, should I just give up? 2 pics

hosenemesis
13 years ago

Hi garden buddies,

Some of you may remember my battle with the Cute Goats Next Door. They figured out how to get their adorable muzzles through the chain link fence to eat my lovely Algerian Ivy fence that shields my view of the numerous metal outbuildings and motorhomes the neighbors favor. I spent several weekends and about 200 bucks on chicken wire last year on the neighbor's side of the fence trying to save the ivy.

The Cute Goats ate the chicken wire. And the ivy.

Now this:

{{gwi:558698}}

{{gwi:337723}}

Neighbor's 40-year-old pepper tree lost a main limb, ON THE FENCE. All of those years of training the ivy up, up, to hide the hideosity...

I kept the ivy because it was cheap, needs no water, it's green, and it's tall and dense. Now it is short and not dense. Should I plant shrubs on this side of the property? Poisonous ones? The existing ivy will be a nightmare to keep out of the new shrubs, you see. And the ivy has trunks the diameter of a pepper tree limb. It's OLDER than the pepper trees. Can't be removed.

Any ideas? Shrub recommendations? Volunteers to come over and trim the ivy out of the shrubs once they grow in?

Renee

Comments (13)