SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

Any thoughts/ruminations/ramblings on this year's results?

Once again, despite my best efforts, I'm way behind in planting out. So this weekend, as I went through all my containers, and finally opened all of the milk jugs and assessed the situation, I was able to make a general assesment of this years results.

Overall, not bad. Not the best year of WSing I've had, but not the worst. I sowed appproximately 200 containers (my computer is down so my exact info is unavailable at the moment - on DH's laptop right now.) Out of those approximately 200 containers, I had almost 60 with absolutely no germination. A good 30 have only one or two sprouts.

My sunflowers, petunias, lobelias, calendulas, snaps, mimulus, impatiens, sweet peas, morning glories, and most veggies and herbs did extremely well.

My biggest disappointments are my annual asters and my zinnias. These did really really poorly - surprisingly, since these are usually among my best performers. It makes it harder because these are some of the staples of my cutting garden for the farmer's market. So I have started resowing lots of these seeds.

Surprisingly, my marigolds did quite poorly also. Also poor germination on ageratums and gomphrenas. And in general, my perennials did not do so well. A good 25-30 of the ungerminated containers were perennials (about 50% of my perennials).

So, while I have some disappointment, I still tell myself that there is no way I would have this kind of germination success with indoor sowing. No way, no how.

As far as any other thoughts, I think next year I will either pass on the soda bottles, or modify. I did the tab thing with the soda bottles, which seemed perfect - no tape to mess with etc. BUT... If I had a penny for every time I went to pick up one of the darn things by the neck, and had the top come off in my hand, I'd be a rich woman, lol! I felt like George Bailey with the finial at the bottom of his staircase. So I will either not do that again or maybe stick some tape on the bottle anyway. I'm just too used to being able to pick up the milk jug without thinking to remember about the soda bottles.

Also, since I was bold this year and sowed herbs and *some* veggies in milk jugs, and they transplanted okay, I may get really brave and forgo the peat pots next year, and just do *all* my veggies like I do my flowers.

Oh, and yeah, next year I will plant out earlier...

:)

Dee

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery