SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathyd_gw

I put the garden to bed (long, rant)

kathyd
17 years ago

I don't know why but I couldn't take it this time. Dad decided that he *had* to rake out part of the garden, of course killing several plants that were in the way. Admittedly, the garden has been suffering from neglect and bad weather. But there were a few astillbes and the one cimicifuga that I've been babying along for 3 years now in that patch. Of course, he asks me about this *after* it's already destroyed. Then he tells me that the side bed has to be moved because they need to work on the roof. And by the way, the pots by the basement door have to go. Why they have to go, I'll never know, the doors open if the pots are there or not.

I just couldn't take it. I'm so tired of having mom or dad or the gardeners they hired last year tearing up my hard work. So I went out and razed it. Tore up everything that was still there and left just the roses that came with the house. At least now there's nothing left for anyone else to destroy.

It's a loss and a waste at a time when I'm not really feeling that hot to begin with. Work has been enormously stressful and draining lately. I just long for a patch of earth to call my own and with the enormous student loan debt plus the price of homes in this area averaging around $750K, I know I'm not going to have one for a long time, if ever. I can't really afford to move out unless I want to stay in debt until I'm in my 60's. Quite frankly, I don't know what to do. I'm tired and overloaded and I just can't deal with my alcoholic mother and my father who does little but hit and yell. I'm too old for this.

The next level of my job votes on whether or not to keep me tomorrow. I've been so busy documenting to back up my case that work is following me home every day. I'm just at a loss for what to do next. And I'm tired and scared and no where feels safe anymore, not my job, not this house.

There is really only one thing keeping me going right now: my students. There's a note in my inbox from one kid that was really freaked out before the last test. Thinking of dropping and dropping out. So we talked and he took the test and did well. So he's thanking me for my help. I wonder if they realize that they're helping me so much more than I help them right now?

Comments (20)

Sponsored
More Discussions