SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

I think I've reached my limit-a rant (LONG)

neetsiepie
13 years ago

Thanks in advance for allowing me the opportunity to vent. I am just about ready to flip my lid, and it's better to do it here than in real life, I guess.

So where to start? Guess the most pressing thing is the unsurety I'm feeling lately. I work for the State, and my job is pretty secure. I'm in a position where if my Department had to face cuts, I've got enough time in that I can bump and still stay employed. My agency is not funded by tax dollars, but we've had to 'share the pain' with the agencies that are and take furlough days, resulting in a 5% pay cut. I know...I should be grateful to have a job...and one with great benefits, but honestly, I work REALLY hard at my job and it's dangerous and stressful and HARD, so I feel I deserve the compensation.

I AM worried about the fact that further cuts in compensation are a given. Either more furlough days or other out of pocket expenses that will result in an overall pay cut. I know this is coming, so it's causing me a deal of stress.

There's the issues with my mother's health, my MIL & her DH; my eldest daughters expenses...she's a barely employed student who has no health insurance (too old to be on ours now) and she recently had a trip to the ER that is costing her over $6,000.

My BIL is still with us. That is becoming a real issue. He himself is not a problem...if you had to have a person living with you, he'd be a good one to have. But it's the issue of having a 3rd person in the house...and now boundaries are starting to be crossed. It might seem petty, but tonight I was putting away some groceries and I went to make a sandwich for dinner. I noticed some crackers that I like and buy to put in my lunches was opened and some of the packets gone. I also discovered that a new package of lunch meat was opened. DH does not eat lunch meat. When I went to get the cheese, I noticed it was half empty...again, DH does not like that type. Now I have NO problem with BIL making himself something to eat, and he has no idea that these are treats I buy for myself at a specialty store, but I feel a bit...cheated.

Which leads me to the BIG issue. I asked DH if his brother is giving him any money. BIL is back at his job, so I know he's got money coming in. DH was evasive and said BIL had given him money and he does work for DH. Long story short, we got in an argument, DH said he'd give me money, but I don't want DH's money, I want to know if BIL is kicking in!!

I'm going to approach BIL tomorrow and ask him what his plan is. I'll tell him he's welcome to stay as long as he needs, but he'll need to kick in $200/mo for room & board. The going rate is easily double that, so I think it's fair. As it is, he's been here long enough that I'm seeing the expenses (I pay the bills and do the majority grocery shopping), and it's starting to pinch.

DH has had his income cut drastically, but hasn't quite adjusted his spending habits. I have cut mine to the point where I feel guilty going out to lunch once a week! I am the majority breadwinner and I'm starting to feel resentful that I'm supporting so many people, and I'm making sacrifices while DH isn't.

I'm doing more housework; my MIL used to come twice a week and spiff up, play with the dogs, change the cat boxes, change the linens, little things like that. She doesn't come over any more (guilt over BIL) and DH and BIL haven't picked up the slack. Any intimacy DH and I had is now gone, in fact, we hardly spend any time together now that we've got a 'roommate'.

AND, to top it all off, my DH is getting ready to start ramping up his utterly annoying trait of acting like a big baby over the holidays.

I feel like I'm ready to just pack it all up and leave. I am angry and upset and feel used. I feel like one more straw and my back will break! I'm not feeling supported by my DH, and honestly, I'm just flat out angry at him. I love him, but I'm not being ranked high on his list and I don't think he's being fair to me. I try to talk to him about it and he changes the subject (he's always been an avoider of conflict) or he'll leave the room.

I can't afford to take a vacation, otherwise I'd be GONE baby. I was thinking of going to my mom's for a weekend...that would give me the chance to talk things out with her and dump one of the things bugging me, but I can't fit it in!! Gaaahhh!!! I long to be ALONE for a while. Is that being selfish? If so, well, I'm not gonna worry...I think it's time I stop being so freaking Cancerian!

Comments (26)