SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
queuetue

I think I've made a terrible mistake

queuetue
16 years ago

I've got a pair of wide 30-gallon rain barrels I've set up to use for watering my garden, and rather than turn them into a mosquito country club, I went to the local aquarium supplier to see if I could get a stock of feeder fish to live in them and eat the larvae.

There was a discussion amongst the shopkeepers, and they suggested some 3-for-$20.00 koi, about 2" long. Not only would they be good for the mosquitos, they would be great pets. My wife has always wanted koi, so I picked up 6 - three for each tank, a 40 gallon submersible filter (I'm only setting up one tank at the moment) and a can of 'red enhancing' food. I grow worms, so I was planning on feeding them a combination of the two.

I hopped on gardenweb, thinking I could find some info here on how to take care of them, discovered the koi forum, and have been reading in horror. Apparently instead of a sextet of beautiful and hardy 2" fish that will last a few years, I've made a 60-year commitment to some delicate lovelies that will eventually grow to 2 feet and require 2000 gallons of tank space that I and the family will wind up forming an emotional bond with, so "getting rid of them" will be an impossibility.

Now, having a real carp pond has been an eventual very long term goal of mine, and I love the idea of taking care of these guys 'till now until they become monsters, but how fast is that going to happen? When will these little critters need something more than the tank they are in now? Can I plan to grow my containment along with their size, notching it up every year, or will they be flopping out of this tank by July?

Also, WTH was the fish store thinking? From what I'm reading, even my little koi won't eat 'skeeters - they're already too big. Is this a case of a communications foulup, or was I just taken advantage of?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor