SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sissyz_gw

New and I have made a terrible mistake.

sissyz
13 years ago

My husband doesn't believe in painting or home decorating. He's not a fan of the disruption and really not a fan of the cost. After the dog tore up a wall and the rain came in our new construction, it became obvious something needed to be done. I wasn't confident, but I repaired the ripped drywall paper!! I fixed the hole the dog made!! The wall looks awesome!

I taped, I primed, and I bought several little jars of paint and finally settled on BM Wales Green. I thought it was cool and comforting and spa like.

Oh.

Yuck.

It looks like Granny Apple green. It's neon. It's horrible. I'm in tears. Hubby @ church and when he sees this disaster, it will be the end of the painting around here.

I thought I had done everything correctly, but I have made a $50 color mistake.

Do any of you know if this can be fixed? Can the paint guy add white to tone this down?

Comments (51)

• kellyeng
    13 years ago

No big deal, just paint over it. Done. Tell hubby to back off - it's your house too and you'll paint when you da*n well please.

Sorry, but overbearing husbands who cause undue stress push me over the edge.

• kimberlyrkb
    13 years ago

I'm very sorry to hear this! I have made my fair share of paint selection mistakes, so much so that my family teases me we've lost square footage in our house.

I don't think adding white will be what you're after. The best thing to do is choose a few different samples, paint them on poster board and try them in various places in the room. Personally, I think green is a hard color to choose, which is why the sample boards, for me, are so important.

Some others here can probably chime in with specific colors for you to look at. I hope you find something both you and your husband can live with!

Good luck!

• Related Discussions

I think I made a terrible mistake !

Q

Comments (9)
    happy_fl, wow! I can't wait until my tree looks like that. I have a little strawberry guava, only about 2 feet tall. It has stood up incredibly to our recent drought, and is putting on new growth at a good rate. I have heard horror stories of the invasiveness of this plant. Also, I've seen pictures of how it has taken over to form entire forests of strawberry guava in places where it is not native, like Hawaii. The main problem here in Florida, I suppose, would be birds carrying the seeds elsewhere. We wouldn't see the effects of the invasiveness in our own yards. Someone else would. All the same, I love this plant. :) It is part of an informal, botanical-nerd collection I have going on... that is, plants of common families. In this case, Myrtaceae. Others in this family that I have so far: Surinam Cherry, Common Myrtle, and Honey Eucalyptus. I enjoy the Myrtaceae because of their drought tolerance, attractiveness, and usefulness.
    ...See More

mistakes I have made and wish I could take back

Q

Comments (5)
    Don't worry too much about it, learn from your mistake and make sure to not do the same thing again. I could have been worse, and it is just one customer. You can never, no matter how hard you try, make every single customer happy every time. Not to say you shouldn't try, just do not drive yourself crazy doing so. I had a bad similar experience my first year selling, it was I think the second or third time we ever sold at market. Because I work in the mornings I am not able to go to Saturday morning market, so my mom and husband sell. Something happened on that day and (not sure who started it) they started selling things for way cheaper than the prices we had decided to sell them for. When I realized this I was so angry, since especially my mom knew how I felt about doing such a thing. Anyhow after I blew up, I calmed down and told them just to forget about it and never do it again. I was so worried that people would expect to bargain with them. I do not know if any of those people came back expecting lower prices, since I am sure they would not have told me if anyone did. I have had people get huffy about the price of something, and I ended up dropping the price to the point which it is not cheaper anywhere else and they still do not like it. It is just not worth it to get worried about. If they do not like my prices then they can go to someone else who is cheaper and buy it from them. Chances are it will not be as good a quality and they probably will not have the unusual things that I have, but that is their choice.
    ...See More

Have I made a terrible mistake?!

Q

Comments (66)
    Hello, I confess that I haven't read the entire thread, so please forgive me if what I have to add has already been discussed, done and dusted! I love that yellow. I repainted one bedroom with a very subtle yellow, but while in the process, while the old color (apple blossom pink, a nearly white pink) was still showing, I thought the yellow was too strong! but, when it was all finished, it was perfect. You see, it was the contrast with the old paint that through off my perception. Now, I love that gray, and I love the yellow, but to my eye they don't work together. The gray brings out some pink tones in the yellow, and somehow they aren't on the same wavelength either (I don't know what the word for that would be). That makes the cupboards stand out too much (I hope that makes sense). I am sure that you can find another gray that will work better. Once you do, I think that you will be happy with all the cabinets being yellow. Someone mentioned Home Depot. I think that was the store that had a machine that would analyze your color and suggest shades that harmonised -- you picked the color family that you were interested in. Of course, then you could use that to help select a shade in the brand you preferred. It helped me find colors that worked with a difficult existing wallpaper -- and that helped to de-emphasize the disliked background color of the paper. Hope this was helpful. It will all be good when you are done, I am sure!
    ...See More

Think I may have made a mistake

Q

Comments (41)
    Wondering how this is going. I'm having terrible trouble keeping my boundaries with my dad as he ages. On the one hand, I don't want to be totally mean and uncaring, on the other hand, he can be super nice and you would never guess the cruelty that lies beneath, he's a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde type of person. Dr. Jekyll can be around for days, weeks, even a month or more. Then, on a dime, Mr. Hyde shows up! He actually doesn't even remember sometimes I think when he is one person or the other. He has no memory of how horrible he has been when he's playing Dr. Jekyll, nor does he seem to remember anything good or nice when he is being Mr. Hyde. Then on the other hand, I need to keep those boundaries going because Mr. Hyde showing up is inevitable. That's the sad thing about someone with a pathological personality. They can never really change for good. They just aren't wired the same way as empathetic people. They can act empathetic and sympathetic, they can be charming. But it is for manipulation to get their needs met. They can't ever get used to considering other people's needs and feelings as equal to or above theirs. Most of the time they are barely aware of anything about anyone other than their self. So I would do the minimum and not sweat keeping those boundaries. As the old saying goes, "Ex is ex for a reason" and same goes for boundaries with pathological people. Wish as hard as you will that things could be different, but they just can't. This is the cross people have to bear who have people like this in their family and life. The hardest thing is the guilt other people try to lay on you because the person can seem sympathetic and charming, so they think you are being the mean one. So many people hold out hope that people can change, and some people can change, absolutely and I am a firm believer on people's ability to change. But sometimes you have to realize that there are just certain people who cannot. Being able to distinguish between those who can and those who can't is pretty important. Show compassion to those who can't, but keep iron clad boundaries between their dysfunctional lives and your own. Think of how many people who have had to watch as a loved ones sinks into addiction, madness and death and have tried and tried to intervene to no avail. So some people really can suffer and suffer from their own self-imposed hells and yet never let go of the dysfunctional behavior.
    ...See More
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Sissyz, it's time you stood up for things you find important...and a woman's home is her nest.
    This is not a new concept...explain to him you will be repainting the walls as it is important to you.

What does he find important that you don't?
    You have communication issues to work on.

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

Oh dear. Well, I'm no color expert, but I just took a look at online images, and it does look rather Apple-ish. Yikes. Surely there's something that can be done...adding blue or black? Someone here will know better than me, but I'm just certain that something can be done without starting over.

That said, what exactly does that mean "doesn't believe in painting or home decorating"? Would he rather the walls be bare drywall? That's not only unsightly, it's unsanitary.

Did he help you fix that wall? And what would he have done, instead, let the rain come in?

I'm not trying to be tacky, I'm just trying to get to what the real issue is. If it's the mess, well, no one likes the mess! But messiness is just sometimes a part of life, and thankfully, it doesn't last for long.

Cost is always an issue. My sister once said that the only person thriftier than me was my husband. Hmph! There's lots of ways around that, though. Furniture and accessories can be found at thrift stores, garage sales, estate sales, clearance racks, curbside, and sometimes, just for the asking. Paint can be bought on sale, or from the "oops" rack at most home centers. Habitat for Humanity has Restores, where I hear they sell all kinds of things...appliances, furniture, paint, hardware, etc., all at a huge discount.

So, there's no reason to do without nice things for your home, just because of money. Sometimes it just takes a little more creativity and time. Anyone with a charge card can walk into a home store and buy the place up, but where's the fun (or meaning) in that?

I would quietly and calmly sit down with your husband, and explain that our homes are not just physical shelters, but spiritual shelters as well. It's the place where we laugh and cry and eat and pray and make love and share dreams and dissapointments, and as such, it needs to be a place where you can BOTH be comfortable and happy. We come "home" not just to park the car and sleep, but to recover ourselves from the harshness and ugliness of the world outside. Some pretty things and nice paint sometimes helps.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    13 years ago

I think many of us on this forum have been there and done that with paint colors. We built our home several years ago, and I as in tears over paint too. My hubby joked that the paint deck was part my new appendage, as much as I carried it around.

Here are a few thoughts for you:
    - The color may seem too __________ (you fill in the blank - bright, dark, gaudy, whatever), but sometimes that's an illusion since you were used to looking at the wall white or in a neutral color. Suddenly, the color seems overwhelming. But, with the woodwork, furniture, and decor, it may look great. I was afraid we had made a mistake choosing a too dark color for our main living areas, but I love it now.

- If you only dislike how dark the color is, you can take the paint back to the paint store and ask them to lighten it up for you.

- If you absolutely know the color is not going to work in any form, it's worth it to choose another, despite the cost. Next time, get a sample size and paint a portion of the wall or a large piece of poster board to get a better idea. Paint colors are very tricky, depending on lighting conditions, and they also play off one another as well. In my case, I found that the color on the strip appeared more powerful on the wall, so once I realized that, it helped a lot.

- Consider getting some advice. Our painter was extremely helpful to us. With her experience, she was able to listen to our preferences and steer us in the right direction with colors. You may find similar advice and assistance with the paint store personnel.

- Check out the paint colors used in showcase homes in your area. Go on one of the tours if you can. That's what we did, just to get ideas. It was really helpful in determining what we were drawn to. Look in decorating magazines or catalogs. The Pottery Barn catalog lists the Benjamin Moore colors used in their room scenes.

In the end, it's "only paint" and can easily be changed, as our painter used to say. I hope your hubby is more understanding when he realizes how important this is to you.

Keep us posted.

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

I echo Jan's suggestions. There's not a paint "oops" known to humankind that cannot be fixed in one way or another. It's certainly not a terrible mistake. Step back, take a deep breath, and realize that most of us have done something that didn't work out quite the way we expected. It's not the end of the world - you just have to find a way to fix it. :-)

As for your (overbearing?) husband - I'd say if he comes home from church and throws a fit, he ought to march himself right back to church and get his head on right.

Best of luck!

• susanka
    13 years ago

To answer one of the questions you asked, I recently asked the Sherwin Williams guy to give me 50% of a sample color we were trying in our basement and wanted to modify. He explained that that meant not adding white, but putting 50% of the base into the new paint sample, and that this might or might not result in a 50% lightening of the color. Another time I asked a paint store to "add white" to a color I didn't like and they said it wasn't that simple. So adding white may not be the answer. I'd advise talking to the paint store people about what, if anything, could be done to give you the color you want based on the paint you already have.

There have been times when I was on a budget so tight I had no budget, and I'm not kidding (my own doing, not taking orders from DH). So I understand that $50 can be a big deal. But if you have new construction going didn't your husband figure paint was going to be part of the equation? Like Kellyeng, I hope you have a relationship where you have an equal say in what goes on with your home. In any case, why not give the "apple green" a bit more of a chance, as Carol says, to find out for sure whether it can be the comforting color you first thought?

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

• aiallega
    13 years ago

oh sissyz I have a DH like that too!

When I was pregnant with our first child and had a sonogram, my obgyn was CERTAIN I was having a girl. We promptly painted the new baby's room a very girly pink. Well, of course we had a boy. He had a pink room for 3 years!

• graywings123
    13 years ago

My guess is that adding white paint to it is not necessarily going to give you a shade that you like or is more calming. Could you possibly use it as a one wall accent color? Go to your Ben Moore store on Monday with the gallon of paint and see if there are any options. Maybe with the addition of black, it could be turned into a sage green - I don't know.

We have all made these kinds of mistakes with color. What I tell myself at times like this is that if this is the worst mistake I make in my life, then I am doing well.

Next time you choose a paint color, do a google search of the color. You can usually find that someone has posted their experience with it. This works with Ben Moore colors, less so with other brands.

As for your husband, he needs an attitude change. Decorating a home is important and even if he doesn't "get" that, he only needs to know that it is important to you and therefore important. You can compare it to something he does for pleasure - sports, cars, fishing, whatever he does that costs money.

And decorating a home adds value to it.

• Jamie
    13 years ago

I have to say I sympathize with you. I have made plenty of $50 painting mistakes and I don't like it one bit. But I can't help but think of the cost of having a dog. The shots and medical care, the food and toys and leashes, the grooming and extra cleaning labor and cleaning supplies and repairing walls and other things they chew or ruin, the cost of kennels or pet sitters. If it's his dog I'd remind him that life is not free and that homes and pets and everything else cost money and that it's unavoidable.

If it's your dog of course I wouldn't say the above.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

Just tell your h you love it and do as the above posters suggested. Live with it a bit and change it later if you want. Making your home nice is good for you and the rest of your family. I once had a WHOLE BUILDING painted a hideous color.
    If he give you a hard time, tell gw is listening.
    keep us posted

deedee

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

If he give you a hard time, tell gw is listening.....

I meant, if he gives you a hard time, tell him gw is listening.

Sorry about that, your post rattled me a bit.

• northcarolina
    13 years ago

Oh, I did that when we remodeled our bathroom. It looked so pretty on the little card and in the store. I was out of the house when our contractor started painting and he didn't even finish... he waited for me to come home and was not surprised when I recoiled in horror. It wasn't apple green, but it was a sort of aqua that looked horrible once it was on 4 walls with our lighting. Greens are hard for me to choose well. The paint store was not able to tone it down, unfortunately, so that was my $50 mistake. Interestingly enough, my husband didn't mind the color. The new paint is much better, though. [grin] My young son liked the horrible aqua too, so we hung onto it and maybe he can use it for something later.

The lighting is one of the things that made my paint so different at home. One thing you might think about, if you decide you can't live with it and you want to avoid buying another gallon, is to switch from incandescent to compact fluorescent bulbs in the room, or the other way round if CF is what you have now. That might change the look. Or if you have some paint left in the can you can cut it by 1/3 or so with white or beige (if you don't have any handy, check the clearance rack at a home improvement store) and see if that makes a difference.

But honestly, I would consider an occasional wrong gallon of paint just part of life and home-ownership; it happens to all of us, comes with the territory. I hope your husband doesn't give you as hard a time as you expect.

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

Breathe deeply and don't stress :-) If you truly hate it then DH should understand that it needs to be changed.

My DH has learned to deal with my painting mistakes and not say much about it - and he's usually the one who has to repaint (I would but he's a perfectionist and insists on doing it himself). If mama isn't happy, no one is happy :-D

Once, DH painted our entire 13 ft tall foyer and I knew instantly that I hated it. I wanted a light neutral but he wanted a deeper color so I chose one that looked great in many other GWer's homes. Unfortunately, it looked orange in my foyer and detracted from my beautiful stained doors. DH thought it was fine and, knowing he worked so hard and did such a great job painting the room, I lived with it for a few months to see if it would grow on me.

It didn't and he repainted the room in the light neutral that was my first choice. After that, I bought sample quarts from Sherwin Williams and painted huge pieces of drywall to get a better idea of how they'd work in my space.

I just painted a hutch over 4 different colors before finding one that worked. Believe me, we have several "oops" cans of paint in our garage :-)

• annzgw
    13 years ago

I haven't read all the responses but, yes, you can fix it. Take the can back to the paint store, tell them what you need to change and they should be happy to work with you. My BM store gladly paints samples so I can see the 'custom' color before I leave the store.

• fnmroberts
    13 years ago

You haven't made a terrible mistake! You simply selected a paint color from a small chip or sample which did not look like you thought it would after being fully applied to the wall space.

Think if it this way. You had a damaged wall. Had you hired a professional to make that repair it would have cost significantly more than $50. Your investment was only the materials. And you have gained the knowledge and confidence to make future repairs when the need arises (and it will).

So, you're $$$'s ahead with the wall repair which you are investing in paint. You'll use the remaining paint in the garage or basement in the future and recover the investment then.

Hope everything works out.

• sissyz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, how awesome you guys are.
    I feel less like a failure and I have hope. He's not a bad guy, not demeaning or on ogre in any way. We took a 40% cut in pay, six weeks after being transferred here and he finds home repair/maintenance/remodeling unnecessary. When we moved his mother out of her house, her kitchen sheers were so old, they disintegrated in my hands. His reaction? "She got her money's worth out of those!"
    So, he comes home and I show him and he says Isn't that what you wanted? I tell him no. He says why did you pick it? Very pragmatic.
    I show the neighbor.
    Guess what??? She's RELATED to the guy who owns the Benjamin Moore store where I bought the paint!! She calls him from my bathroom and tells him the story. He is opening up the store for me tomorrow, he will fix the paint!!
    CANYOUBELIEVETHAT????
    He says I left my "color personality". No problem.
    Almost everyone of you has made this kind of error, so I am not too discouraged.
    The dog that chewed the wall is mine. She was a present from his mom! I didn't want to put her in her cage, when I left one evening, but I learned my lesson!
    My husband is a great guy, a hard worker who loves us dearly, but painting and using joint compound are a huge deal to him and the expense is something he doesn't agree with. (Franksmom--his office still sits with only the builder's spray on it, white and chalky. He cares not!!)
    I am grateful for all the kind words of support. This is truly like a community, isn't it??
    Don't believe what you read about Wales Green being a soft, muted color. SHEESH!!!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I once painted my living room and knew within the first few strokes it was way too dark yellow than I wanted. Being a newbie, I added some white to it and mixed it in a large pickle bucket until it looked lighter to me. I kept painting and it looked so much better. People would compliment me on it and ask the color and I'd say it was "custom". I was too cheap and too inexperienced to know that you "can't" add white to a color to make it better, lol. It can't hurt to try if you have paint left.

We sold the house 4 years ago and I swear how cheerful the paint was was what made it sell so well and quickly.

FWIW - I googled your green and absolutely love it! It will go on my short list for my living room. I wanted a perky green because all the houses I see have such somber dead tones to them. I am a real estate agent and think everyone uses the same couple of swatches to choose their colors (and always has, but more so lately). Later on, it becomes "dated" and requires changing.

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

Sissy, so glad to hear that you're no longer in panic mode and that everything is working out! I hope the "new" color will be exactly what you had envisioned from the start. I can certainly understand how taking a pay cut would make your husband think some things are unnecessary, but I hope he too loves the color once it's corrected.

Glad you had joined us here, and hope to see you participating regularly now that you've "gotten your feet wet"! ;-D

• dianalo
    13 years ago

So happy to hear a happy ending is coming your way! Please post pix with before and after when it is all done :)

• Jamie
    13 years ago

Yay! Be sure to let us know what the BM guy says your "color personality" is!

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

That's great news! Maybe you can also let the BM guy know that you're on a very tight budget, and could he possibly give you a call if someone returns paint and they'd like to sell it at a discount?

I totally understand about the pay cuts and tight budgets. However, I would think that unfinished drywall is bad for several reasons. First, it's not very good for your health to have gypsum dust flying around, and second, the more time passes, the walls could get dirty, making the eventual painting more difficult. I'd be on the lookout for an inexpensive, but good quality paint (I'm a fan of Behr) from the oops rack, and call it good.

My husband has similar issues. Our house had a lot of the original builder's grade 1970's hardware, which I wanted to replace. His response was "Does it still work?" Good grief!

I did a small makeover of our master bath- which I hated passionately- and was very happy with the result. New window treatment, all new hardware (including 32 cabinet hinges!), new ceiling fan, new light fixture, new towels and rug, and a few accessories. The total cost? Around $325. He was horrified that I had spent so much, and I was thrilled that I got it all done for so little!

There are two main issues: He has no problem living with ugly things, and he has no idea how much things cost. Sometimes we just have to negotiate and compromise on some things. And I don't tell him how much things cost anymore. ;)

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

O.K., now *that* seems providential! Please share what your color choice ends up being.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

What a beautiful way to start the new year!!!
    Hooray for kind neighbors, practical husbands and Garden
    web support.

~boxerpups

• loribee
    13 years ago

Great story! I hope it all works out well and you post pix of the new color!

• runninginplace
    13 years ago

Sissy, I will be celebrating my 25th anniversary in a few days, married to someone who sounds a lot like your husband. After all those years, MANY arguments and a little professional help (and yes I do mean a counselor!) here is something I've learned: my husband is never going to come around to thinking about home decorating the way I do. He simply is not wired that way, he doesn't care and he truly does not see the importance or the necessity of spending money on it. That may or may not be true in your home too. If it is, start from there and then add my second truth: I do care and I have the right to have a nice home. Period. It's really that simple and also that complicated.

It's wonderful to read that some women have partners who are fully engaged, or warmly supportive, or willing to stand aside and let their woman decorate-going down the scale from best to tolerable. However, that is not the case in my house, and it might not ever be the case in yours. My husband has never once agreed about spending money on decorating or upgrading our home. Not once. I spent a long time feeling frustrated, angry and thwarted before I realized that whether or not my husband wanted to spend the money or have the disruption or make the effort it was worth it to me. And what I want counts too. So I learned to basically say to him 'I know this isn't important to you but it's important to me. And I hope you care enough about how I feel to accept that.' Like you, I'm not a spendthrift and I would never, ever spend money we didn't have or put us into a situation that is risky financially in order to upgrade the house. But I finally had to come to terms with the fact that on this issue we are not going to come to a concensus.

I don't advocate having an ongoing war. And it sounds like your husband is a good person and a loving partner to you. However I do advocate standing up and not being timid about insisting on doing the things you can do to make your home a warm and welcoming refuge. Good luck!

Ann

• sashasmommy
    13 years ago

Good to hear that you have it all worked out. Aren't dogs that chew walls fun? Mine is literally crazy, she's actually been diagnosed as neurotic and obsessive-compulsive by my vet, LOL. She chewed through my wall twice and started on a third time until I put a bookshelf in front of "her spot" and bolted it to the wall. I've tried crating her, but she broke off alot of her teeth trying to get out, so I just live with her craziness. In the new house, the plan is to make her stay in the basement, and I'm not sure how that's going to go but I am tired of having her destroy my furniture. She's 15 now and I love her so, but it's been a long and rough time with her.

• kellyeng
    13 years ago

Runninginplace, perfectly said.

• sophiecat9
    13 years ago

Sissy, When I saw your post all I could think of was my own green disaster. I am a very hesitant painter and timid with color. I chose Behr celery sprig after seeing it in my neighbors room with the same southeast windows. I thought about it long and hard and it seemed perfect. It was not! Too bad I forgot to consider the neighbor's room was a nursery for a little girl and had lovely lavender accents throughout. My room was the dining room! I compared your green with my own and they are pretty close, funny they don't look at all frightening on the monitor... Anyways reading these posts have given me the resolve to re-paint.

• larke
    13 years ago

I think it's important for you to sit down together and you explain to him that females have built-in genes for nesting, our surroundings and environment are so important to us, whether or not we happen to have kids at a given time. It's just one of those things we crave! Women don't cry because we're weak, it's some hormonal design we have that just makes it easy to do, and a similar mechanism makes us just have to decorate! Hopefully he's not a neanderthal and will understand. After all, we're supposed to get that guys need to bond over booze and baseball!

• User
    13 years ago

Welcome aboard Sissy. Hope to offer you some suggestions to help you with your decorating. I know I have gotten some great suggestions, and photoshopping done from GW members here.

• trancegemini_wa
    13 years ago

I think runninginplace said it perfectly. Her post could have been written to describe me and DH (except for the counselling). I just assumed when we bought a fixer-upper we would fix it up! so many arguements with DH about spending money on the house or asking him to help and eventually we came to a compromise that works. I had to teach myself how to do the work myself and he had to realise how important it was to me and that it would require spending some money.

He loves going out and coming home to find me having repaired or patched, painted or made something etc because he didnt have to be involved and I get to know things will get done without arguing about it. He can definitely live with ugly and say "there's nothing wrong with it, it's fine" lol. If I really get stuck I can ask him for advice (men love giving advice lol) but he knows I will only ask for help if it's physically impossible for me to do something and that doesn't happen often enough to upset him :) like runninginplace said, it's just the way he's wired.

you've learned new skills with the work you have done already but don't be afraid to make mistakes or give things a go.

• jlj48
    13 years ago

Just wanted to say that it warms my heart to see the support that you are receiving here. I read your post and watched all your responses and am just so proud to know about such an awesome group! Also, I know the feeling of spending good money and not having it turn out the way you want. I have made plenty of decorating mistakes and learned lots of lessons. But it sure sounds like this one is going to turn out just fine. Thanks for writing in. Please let us know how it turns out.

• nhb22
    13 years ago

I had to chuckle when I read your FIRST post, and the $50 mistake. :) My very first post here was titled "I made a $4,400 mistake" or something like that. Now that was one expensive mistake! It was for window blinds, not paint. However, as you have read, we all make paint mistakes.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and paint my DH's office a nice neutral color for him as a surprise. I bet he cares more than he let's on.

• Shannon01
    13 years ago

As you have read over and over, you are not alone in many ways.

Let's see...
    I painted my livingroom/entry a lovely golden tan. All 25' tall walls. Spent 7 days to have done before thanksgiving. It was so pretty... in someone else's house. I spent 1 day repainting to the right color that matched our house.

I had lots of help with photoshopping my double french doors in family room. Spent $400 on curtains, rods, etc. It was soooo pretty. Then about a month later we decided we hated it. Sold all to neighbor at a yardsale, he had same model of house. Threw out all the packaging so we could not return to store. Bummer.

My dh is the most wonderful man ever (well, to me he is). But he could care less if I EVER make the bed. So some times I only make my side, and he doesn't even notice. After 10yrs in house I put a picture over our bed. A week later I returned it. About a week after that he said, "Didn't we have a picture above the bed?"

It has been 21 years of bliss and for the first time ever we agreed on everything while shopping for our livingroom. We have been here 6yrs and he would not let me (you know what I mean) get anything unless I picked out furniture first. One day he said he was tired of living with an empty room. So he told me to go pick out stuff and on the weekend he would check it out. The only condition was that we get everything from furniture to accessories. He was finally willing to spend the money. We kept agreeing on the same things it kinda creeped me out. He says he now has way more decorating ability than me. Actually, I think it has just taken 21yrs for my taste to rub off onto him.

So, not sure how long you have been together but I agree that you should find a subtle color to paint his office. I painted my dh's this last year and he loved it more than I did. Go figure. Well, actually it is probably because he has better taste than me. lol

• User
    13 years ago

I need to remember to be nicer to my husband! I received a big manilla envelope of memo samples of wallpaper today from a designer, and as I was pulling them out and oohing and aahhing and taping them to the walls of the laundry room, he asked mildly, "What is it this time?"

• sissyz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just wanted to check back in here.
    The room is painted!! But it's awful. My paint guy did try to fix the paint, but I still hated it. Hate. IT.
    He met my neighbor and I on Sunday morning @ his store and I asked him to dirty it up, take the scream out of it. Well, he said he thought it needed some blue and some of this and some of that. It's nice, I guess. But I don't like it.
    I can relate, Shannon. I picked a nice color, for somebody else's house...
    The bathroom has been torn up for over a week. It is now a dark/sage/cement color that I can't tolerate. My husband sees that the life goes on, the bathroom is absolutely usable during this process, he has taken on some of the errands so I can finish.
    I am going to Lowes today. For more primer. And paint. I will get this right!!
    The wood trim in the bathroom is stained, not painted, and I want to keep it that way, so I thought I would give the wood a coat of poly before painting.
    When I told hubby, he says oh Lord be with us!!!
    HA!!! Those are words of support, if you ask me!!
    I have found much support, here. Making mistakes is not fun. Not pleasant. But mistakes are necessary for growth.
    Can I tell you guys an ironic thing? Guess what Hubbs does for a living? He is a color expert. He's the quality color guy. Nothing comes off the printing press without his approval. So, we've decided to bring some paint chips and put them up in the bath and he can help me decide what the lighting does to the particular color.
    Can you believe this? How far we have come!!
    Some bad news? We might just be beige people. We like beige. Beige makes me happy. I went in and counted, I have 6 pairs of khaki pants. Loads of beige!! Probably not something the color divas like to hear, but I have some wonderful purple accented towels that can add interest!
    Thanks again, I will post pics when it's finished...
    Sis

• susanka
    13 years ago

sissyz, be sure to get enough paint chips that you can tape them together to give you a bigger sample than the little 1-inch cards. Much better to get sample paint sizes if you can afford it.

I love it that your DH is a color expert!

Good luck! Nothing wrong with beige if that's what makes you happy.

• northcarolina
    13 years ago

I would love to see a pictures of the awful paint before you cover it up! Maybe you could paint your husband's office with what's left. [big grin]

I agree with susanka, sample cans are the way to go if you can swing it. They're 2.50 at Lowe's and HD, and they can match SW and BM colors for testing.

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

I know there have been many discussions about beige and white walls here, so you may want to do a search for them and see what all others have said.

I totally get it. With the exception of our kitchen, our whole house is painted a creamy white. We have some stained trim and wainscoting, but the walls are all white. And I think we'd be just as happy with a darker beige, but once you venture into the realm of real color on the walls, we start to get nervous.

I can see how practical a totally neutral wall color is, just like those khaki pants. Goes with anything, doesn't show dirt as much, and is easy to live with. If you get tired of the purple towels in a few years and decide to go with green or red or pink or blue, the walls still work.

It sounds like the whole project is working out, and that the room will be just lovely when it's all done. Be sure to show us pics!

• nhb22
    13 years ago

You can contact BM for 8x8 samples of paint chips, and ask for 4 each. That way you get a much larger sample to go by. They usually send them right out, so you could have that room painted by the end of next week.

• sable_ca
    13 years ago

Bad news??? There is nothing wrong with being a beige person! So am I, and many others here! It just means that you prefer an easy, soft, warm background for your home. Why do we see so many rooms with beige to tan walls and white trim? Because they're beautiful, and light! And because they are forgiving - they will take any kind of decor, furniture and color.

Although this is my only post on this amazing thread, I too would love to see the color on your walls now. Just for the sake of saying, "Yes, you are right!"

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

I like neutral colors also. That's not a bad thing - especially if you're gun shy because of previous color choices! Glad you're working it out.

• mellfiera
    13 years ago

There's nothing wrong with liking beige. I ended up picking a beige for my entryway (Behr Ultra's Crepe) as a compromise with DH. A lot of the art we have hangs there and he wanted to leave it white so as not to clash. Guess what? After just grabbing a paint chip that I thought was ok to show him, I love how it turned out!

The paint chip idea is a great one, but after you settle on a color you like, try to get a sample pint or quart to paint on the wall. I thought I really really liked Behr Ultra's Lemongrass based on the chip. Then I put the sample up on the wall and it came up looking completely different! I never would have heard the end of it if I'd painted the walls pea soup green.

• msrose
    13 years ago

sissyz- If you haven't already discovered the gallery, you can see lots of examples of paint colors in different ranges (blues, browns, greens). That may help you figure out what you like.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: gallery

• greatgollymolly
    13 years ago

I haven't read all the posts so if this is a repeat of what's already been said I apologize.

Have you tried changing out your lighting to reveal bulbs if you don't have them already. They can make a huge difference in how a paint color looks.

Just recently my reveal bulb in my pendent in my kitchen burned out and all I had on hand was a daylight flourescent. I like those bulbs and have them in my lamps. However, when I put this one in my pendent in the kitchen it turned my walls a muddy ugly color. I had to immediately take it out as it made me ill to look at my pretty walls so ugly. Needless to say the nest day a reveal went in.

Also do you have items in the room yet or are you just judging the paint by itself? Furnishings and other decor can make what you think is an ugly paint look very good. Not sure if this is the case with yours but thought I would mention it. Good luck and I know how you feel, been there, done that to the tune of $100 in paint and many wasted hours.

• sissyz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What an awesome experience this has been for me!!!
    I have finished painting my bath: Benjamin Moore Chocolate Mousse!! So incredible!! Warm, clean, and FABULOUS!!
    Some things I learned:
    I am really good @ wall finishing! I got carried away, because now I see so many flaws in the walls. I could've done new compound on all those walls!!
    My trim is in bad shape. It is wood, stained, and this stuff needs better upkeep in the bathroom!! I have been sanding it, and am trying "wipe on poly". (I can't even believe I'm saying that!!)
    The frog tape is way better than the blue tape. I taped the baseboards and taped the ceiling. (I'm not good at the lines, but I am not sweating it.)
    I need new towels!!
    Now, my pictures are lying on the ground where they are supposed to go. I don't want to put any holes in my new walls!!!
    Pictures are to follow, I'm uploading now!!

• kjmama
    13 years ago

sissyz - aww what a great "ending" to this story. I am so happy that you love your paint and it is "fabulous":) YAY! Glad you got your confidence back!! Can't wait to see.

• User
    13 years ago

That's awesome! Congratulations. Is DH proud of you too?

Um, can you come to my house...my walls could use your help :-)

• loribee
    13 years ago

Wonderful!!