SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shilty_gw

Long Rant: Health Care in the Smoky Mountains

shilty
17 years ago

Spring in the Smokeys, and I've got the flu - Out of the blue my 3rd day there. Raging fever, headache, sore throat, wobbly on my feet. I Remembered urgent care and pharmacy in Cherokee, across the mountains...we head there.

Doc is in, they don't participate in my insurance, but I'm in his office with BP, Temp, exam and history in minutes...he confirms I've got the flu, and prescribed the Z pak...you know, that little 6 pill prepackaged box, 2 the first day, one each the second through 4th day, and you're right as rain. $68 on my debit card and I'm headed next door to get my pills and then to the condo for a warm bed.

But, I need to hurry, he says, the pharmacy closes at 12:45 for an hour...and sure enough, I'm wobbling there as fast as I can when two pleasingly plump women are walking out the door and locking it, going to lunch, come back in an hour. No staggered lunch hours? As we're backing out of the parking spot to leave, the Drs Assistant comes out to lock that door with a key, too. Nothing more urgent than lunch.

Thinking surely I can get this filled anywhere else sooner...we head back across the mountains to where we remembered seeing a huge drugstore right downtown Gatlinburg closer to my warm bed.

We spotted the sign from blocks away, but no parking, so hubby lets me out and continues on to where he can turn around and return for me in a few... Nope - despite the huge signs that say PHARMACY, they don't do prescriptions....and the only store that does, they say, is out on highway 321, miles of bumper to bumper traffic that causes hubby to have moved less than a single block in those few moments, but too far away to catch up with in my diminished capacity. 40 minutes later he picks me up - and we're now heading AWAY from highway 321! I check the faithful Walmart Atlas that lists all the Walmart Supercenters with pharmacy.

There's supposed to be one in Sevierville. We grab the bypass to Pidgeon Forge, then to Sevierville - we make it there in record time....I am 3 sheets woozy standing there giving the clerk at the Walmart pharmacy drop off window information needed to fill the prescription. So when she said it would be an hour, I wasn't sure I'd heard it right, and asked her to repeat it.

An hour?

Walmart - Ole Sell It Dirt Cheap to Get Every Customer Possible Walmart has no plan to dispense a prepackaged Z-pak quicker than the old fashioned countem out kind of pills? How many Walmart customers and staff can I infect with this bug in that hour? I cannot see walking all the way out and to the car, and all the way back in an hour.

What do you think - 3 seconds to grab one off the shelf and shove it in a bag and swipe my debit card? 10?

Back down the street to the Walgreen store...where, indeed,

it did not take the pharmacist 3 seconds to put the Z pak in the bag and hand it to me...and they participate in my insurance plan too.

Well, Walgreen is a comfortable old shoe, but you still gotta get in the door of an Urgent Care center while a Dr. is in and before they lock it. Lunch is more urgent.

One of the things about finally having the funds and time to travel is age, and perhaps a vulnerability due to age. When things hit fast, you need real help immediately.

I am only one of 20 million visitors expected there this summer, but apparently they are unprepared to provide much service in a pinch.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
More Discussions