SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
savtaj

How did you survive the summer?

savtaj
15 years ago

Although the days are getting considerably shorter, there's still at least a month of hot weather left in this part of the world. It has been especially hot, with some very dry days, when it was difficult to breathe and some damp days when we could easily forget we were in hilly country, 100 km from the sea.

As this was my orchids' first experience of summer in Jerusalem, it was interesting to see how they would fare. Most of them seem to have survived - although even they appear to be holding their breath, waiting for more bearable temperatures.

The only casualty is this orchid, which seems to be suffering from some sort of leaf burn. (I think it is a Miltonia, but am not even sure of that - the labelling was extremely vague, yet they charged me the equivalent of $35 for it!)

{{gwi:190740}}

At first I thought it was a case of sunburn, but now I'm not sure if it isn't fertiliser burn. I decided to repot, in any case. The roots look fine - neither rotted nor particularly dry. The medium was damp, but not soggy, but didn't look too fresh. Here's a pic of the roots after soaking in water for 10 minutes:

{{gwi:190741}}

So what do you think? Any hope for this one? In any case, I'm learning a valuable lesson - not to attempt genera that aren't suited to the conditions I have to offer. What's wrong with sticking to phals, catts and a few dends, anyway?

I'd love some feedback on this orchid, if possible. Also, I'd be interested to learn how other members dealt with special problems of summer weather.

Judy

Comments (20)