SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshtx

First buds and summer survival

joshtx
10 years ago

The last three weeks have been extremely taxing on the garden. What started as a nice spring and summer quickly turned into a sun fueled death crawl for most of the plants. There for a while I thought I was going to lose Ambridge Rose to the inescapable furnace. With the arrival of new plants, which are in their planters in the back awaiting their spots in the garden, I became a bit panicked about whether I would lose this crop of plants as well. Thankfully we have a porch to shelter them from the worst of the heat and provide them with gentle morning sun.

I went out today to inspect everything, and I'll be darned if the plants that were suffering have bounced back with extreme zeal. My Ambridge Rose (2) which were out in all day sun (they are now in prime spots on the porch) has absolutely exploded in new growth, throwing out basal shoots and new canes with abandon. And the growth is the first flush of mature foliage they have had yet!

But nothing got me more excited than seeing that my new band of Souv. De Francois Goulain has put out a bud! I leaped for joy at the thought of seeing the first tiny bloom of the latest addition to the garden. Theoretically I SHOULD nip it (especially since this band was the victim of a stray volleyball and lost a small lateral this weekend), but we can technically file it under the "Need to make sure I got the correct plant shipped," right?

Comments (14)